Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,498   Posts: 1,543,116   Online: 1030
      
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35
  1. #11
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    Here's one done with a lens that sounds identical to yours.



    It was the front light on a Korean War era spotting scope that a spotter for gun mounts might have used. It was in the trash, and I retrieved it and machined a 3" ABS male adapter to recieve it. The pipe threads on the male adapter just start into one of my Cooke Portrait lens flanges so it's easy to mount on the Kodak 2D 8X10 with Packard inside.

    Good soft focus doesn't need to be expensive.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  2. #12
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    121
    Very nice, Jim. I figured you might have something to say on the subject. Over the past few months, I have decided I really need a Packard shutter or something that will allow me to shoot full speed film with some of my bits of orphan glass... something with up to 2 1/2 or 3" opening that would fit a 5" board. (or even 4"... is that possible?)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


  3. #13
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Very nice, Jim. I figured you might have something to say on the subject. Over the past few months, I have decided I really need a Packard shutter or something that will allow me to shoot full speed film with some of my bits of orphan glass... something with up to 2 1/2 or 3" opening that would fit a 5" board. (or even 4"... is that possible?)
    Typically the size of the packard is really close to double the size hole. ie. a 5" Packard will have a 2 3/4" opening. etc.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Jun 2003
    Location
    local
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    16,272
    Blog Entries
    4
    Images
    46
    great stuff reinhold - !

    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Good soft focus doesn't need to be expensive.
    BINGO!



    john
    silver magnets, trickle tanks sold
    artwork often times sold for charity
    PM me for details

  5. #15
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    Typically the size of the packard is really close to double the size hole. ie. a 5" Packard will have a 2 3/4" opening. etc.
    Thanks, Jim. I've been watching auctions lately, but the prices are a little crazy these days. A friend of mine who has a camera shop has a Packard whose outside measurement is just over 6", which I could have for a song, but unfortunately it won't fit any of my cameras. (Is there any way to adapt/trim a Packard to fit a smaller board? The absolute maximum my camera could handle is 5 1/2".)
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


  6. #16
    willrea's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Yelm, Washington
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,046
    Images
    20
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I've been watching auctions lately, but the prices are a little crazy these days. A friend of mine who has a camera shop has a Packard whose outside measurement is just over 6", which I could have for a song, but unfortunately it won't fit any of my cameras. (Is there any way to adapt/trim a Packard to fit a smaller board? The absolute maximum my camera could handle is 5 1/2".)
    I'm in the same boat.

  7. #17
    Reinhold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    Washougal, Washington
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    684
    Images
    14
    Larry, the handsome chap in my first post suggests that I design something for his 4x5 Shen Hao.
    I'll probably use something around 200mm focal length.
    (His bellows draw isn't as long as my Deardorff's).
    While I'm at it I'll probably make one for my 4x5 Tachihara too.

    Maybe I should make a few extra, just in case...
    This could be fun.

    Reinhold

    www.classicBWphoto.com

  8. #18
    Athiril's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Melbourne, Vic, Australia
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    2,521
    Images
    28
    Good job guys

    I'm trying to get into grinding my own plastic, acrylic and glass lenses (probably start off with soda lime glass). Trying to get some designs down first.

  9. #19
    jimgalli's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Tonopah Nevada
    Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Posts
    3,401
    Blog Entries
    2
    Images
    155
    Quote Originally Posted by Toffle View Post
    Thanks, Jim. I've been watching auctions lately, but the prices are a little crazy these days. A friend of mine who has a camera shop has a Packard whose outside measurement is just over 6", which I could have for a song, but unfortunately it won't fit any of my cameras. (Is there any way to adapt/trim a Packard to fit a smaller board? The absolute maximum my camera could handle is 5 1/2".)
    One possibility with the bigger shutter is to mount it on a board and get one of those lens chucks aperture thingys to mount on the other side. Then the chuck holds the shutter to the front of your barrel lens. So the shutter's up front, not behind it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

    http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

  10. #20
    Toffle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Point Pelee, ON, Canada
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    1,796
    Images
    121
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    One possibility with the bigger shutter is to mount it on a board and get one of those lens chucks aperture thingys to mount on the other side. Then the chuck holds the shutter to the front of your barrel lens. So the shutter's up front, not behind it.
    This is certainly a possiblility; I'm looking for something flexible that I can use with my various lens experiments. (which might involve a lot of "thingys")
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

    Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

    http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com


Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin