Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,719   Posts: 1,514,897   Online: 1052

Thread: APO lenses

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APO lenses

APO or apochromatic lenses came onto the scene roughly around when?

I just bought a Linhof Technika III version 5 (looks like a IV, not a III here's a link to the same model as mine: http://www.cameraquest.com/tech3pic.htm). I found out the camera was manufactured in 1956 based on the serial number. I'm trying to figure out if the lens is an APO lens or not. No it's not marked APO, but neither is it marked Anastigmat and I think it's fair to assume that it is at least an anastigmat lens considering it's a Linhof version of Schneider Xenar 150mm f5.6 and seems rather obvious it's the original lens that came with the camera. The infinity stops on the Tech III's are filed right into the rail itself. And this lines up perfectly to the infinity stop and the engraved distance markers on the bed.

Wikipedia says the Xenar is an anastigmat lens http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schneid...uznach#Xenar_2 but they do not say hardly anything about other lenses which I know are APO lenses, so it's hard for me to dig up the facts. And I'm curious to see what the great history buffs here on APUG have to say.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't know a ton about this, but I just acquired a "Blue book of collectable cameras 1839-1980 Silver issue". The only Linhof listed is the Technika IV. I bring this up because it list it as Circa: 1953. I don't know what that means of yours being a "III" but manufactured 3 years later? If it helps, this books lists the "IV" as coming with a Schneider Xenar f 4.5/ Synchro Compur 1-1/500 sec.

I think it may be odd for them to have outfitted a "III" w/ an APO and then return to an anastigmat in the new release of "IV"? IDK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really don't know all that much here, but I guess I thought that Schneider labeled all Apochomatic lenses as APO.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I did [lots more] research. Thanks John Nanian, who gave me the link to the proper page on Schneider's website where I could find the age of the lens. The Xenar lens I have was made in the same configuration as mine for many years, but my lens was made between 1965 and 1967 closer to 1967 based on serial number being at top end of range.

I'm thinking this is a non-APO lens.

My whole reason for asking is because I have a photo shoot for a friend who owns a restaurant, and wondering if I could use this camera. I'll be shooting color, so I think I'll stick to my Cambo monorail for this one.
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Good decision. Never try out new gear for the first time on a paying shoot, at least without a backup system you're familiar with.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Besides you have a lot more movement in the Cambo, assuming those lenses have the image circle to go there.

John Powers

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin