Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,561   Posts: 1,573,311   Online: 1010

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

PACKARD SHUTTER, Front Mounted

A recent post discussed mounting a Packard shutter on the front of the lens if it was too big to fit behind the lensboard.

Here's how I dealt with a 6 inch square one...

An aluminum ring large enough to fit my largest lens...
    Three holes drilled and tapped for #6 screws...
    Bonded onto the back of the shutter with J-B weld...

The steel screws in the photo were replaced with nylon screws to avoid marking the lens.

Reinhold

www,classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Packard shutter 1.jpg   Packard shutter 2.jpg   Packard shutter 3.jpg  
    Last edited by Reinhold; 02-23-2011 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for posting this, Reinhold. I just called up my photo guy and told him to hold a 3 1/2" #6 Packard for me. (6 1/2" square overall) $20, sans bulb or tubing. I will try a similar front mounting system as you have here, though I think I will have to modify it a little more because I have a couple of process lenses that turn to set the aperture, which might not work too well with a huge Packard on the front. Maybe a swing-arm kind of arrangement which would allow me to move the shutter into place after composing and setting the aperture. I've got a couple of little hinge thingies that might do the trick. I will post pictures once I have it set.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I stand corrected, my "new" shutter is not a #6, but appears to be a #8, with two pistons. It may take a bit of work to get it functioning properly, but it appears to be complete. I contacted Reno Farinelli at Packard, and they could do a refit for $65, but shipping to and from them from Canada would be prohibitively expensive. If I can do the work myself, I would be much happier. I have read the threads on cleaning etc., but most of the posts are lacking in some of the details I would need to make a proper assessment of the shutter. I would greatly appreciate any guidance anyone can offer, particularly in regard to the thin metal arm that links the shutter blades to the left and right (intstantaneous and time) pistons.

Cheers,
    Tom, on Point Pelee, Canada

Ansel Adams had the Zone System... I'm working on the points system. First I points it here, and then I points it there...

http://tom-overton-images.weebly.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin