Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,817   Posts: 1,581,641   Online: 769

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Toyo 45AII question

The Toyo 45AII looks like an interesting camera, but I couldn't find enough information about the revolving back it has. Thus this maybe stupid question..

Which rollfilmbacks can be used on a Toyo 45AII without removing the ground glass, only some special thin models or what? For instance can you insert a Da Yi 6x12 or a Super Rollex rollfilmback under the ground glass? If not, is it easy to take the ground glass off on a 45AII or do you "need three hands" to do it?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    The back is a Graflock back so any accessory that will work with that should be okay. I have an older model of that camera and have a roll film back that I very rarely use which I believe came from Calumet. The camera back on mine can easily be removed to rotate from horizontal to vertical - just two sliders.

http://www.jeffreyglasser.com/

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The thing to consider, IMO, is the Fresnel... I bought a Calumet C2 roll film back for my 45AII and if careful I can insert it BUT if I weren't careful it would come in contact with the Fresnel. Supposedly the Calumet C2N (new more plasticy version) has some sort of bumpers on it which might help.

Toyo makes 6x7 and 6x9 insert-able holders which are supposed to work. I plan on simply buying a removable roll film back for mine at some point.

All the best.

Shawn

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Dougherty View Post
    I plan on simply buying a removable roll film back for mine at some point.
    Shawn, you certainly know if it is easy to remove the ground glass from a 45AII?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I guess I didn't read your question properly. You would want to go one of two ways:

1. Something like the Calumet C2N I mentioned or the Toyo versions - that slide in like a film holder.

or

2. Something like a Horseman / Wista / Super Rollex where you take the whole back off and replace it with the holder. (Basically, the back has two sliders like on the top of your front standard where you attach the lens board.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    2. Something like a Horseman / Wista / Super Rollex where you take the whole back off and replace it with the holder. (Basically, the back has two sliders like on the top of your front standard where you attach the lens board.)
    If I must take off the whole back to attach a normal (not slide-in) rollfilm holder, can I install the holder only vertically or horizontally? Or is the Graflok part of the back also a revolving part? I hope you understand what I mean?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you use the 'remove and replace' the back variety the rotating part will come off and you will be forced into horizontal format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you use the 'remove and replace' the back variety the rotating part will come off and you will be forced into horizontal format.
    Ok, thanks. That means that vertical shots with a normal (not slide-in) 6x9 back are possible only when the whole camera is turned 90 degrees, and that restricts the use of movements considerably.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I checked the model I have. It is a Calumet C2 and have used it with a Toyo 45A (metal body). I must admit that I have found little use for it since I also use medium format and if need be I can crop a 4x5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffreyg View Post
    I checked the model I have. It is a Calumet C2 and have used it with a Toyo 45A (metal body). I must admit that I have found little use for it since I also use medium format and if need be I can crop a 4x5.
    Hi all , I at one time did the same as you and just cropped 5x4 (still do for mono)
    But here in perth E6 sheets are $ 13.00 each to process and 120 rollfilm is $ 11.50
    i get 6 shots with my 6x12 Linholf back so when i require this format the math is simple. BTW the Linholf back is great keeps the film very taught does require
    the removal of the glass though . Cheers Gary

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin