Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,725   Posts: 1,515,039   Online: 1094

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Are 4x5 film holders generic?

Are 4x5 film holders generic or will only certain holders work with certain cameras?
    There are tons of 4x5 film holders on the net for sale but I do not want to buy a type that will not work with my Calumet cc-400
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Modern ones are all generic with one exception some early British MPP cameras and holders used a slightly different register, but the weren't exported to the US.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm
    Some of the older Graflex Models like the R.B. Super D use a different kind of back that is not compatible with modern 4x5 film holders.

DON'T buy Tiltall holders!

Lisco and Fidelity, and Toyo holders generally fit modern cameras. Lisco and Fidelity are the most common. Older holders will have wire grips on the dark slides. (Riteway holders are also good but not manufactured after the late 1960s or early 1970s, I think.) From at least the mid-1970s forward, the wire grips were replaced with plastic grips. At some point in the mid-80s, the composite dark slide material was replaced with a thinner, more flexible plastic.

This will give you some idea of the relative age of the film holders on the market. There is no reason to buy old, wooden 4x5 holders. The market is full of the modern plastic models. Price seems to hover around $5-7 each.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks, Fidelity and Lisco were the ones I had seen the most.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeDexter View Post
    Some of the older Graflex Models like the R.B. Super D use a different kind of back that is not compatible with modern 4x5 film holders.
    As far as I know all Graflex style holders are made of wood, with the exception of the metal grafmatics. So you should be safe with any plastic body holder. Get some clean ones, there are a lot out there.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Toyo ones are probably the best ones to go for if you can find them - they are made to a very high standard of precision and flatness.

When you buy Film Holders made sure they are flat and warp free.

Some Holders have seen a lot of "life" and not a great deal of TLC

Martin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had very good luck with Fidelity Elite holders. Often you will find them going for $10 each or more... crazy. I agree with a previous poster, if you watch you can find them (good ones) for $5-$7 per.

I recently picked up 12 (2 lots of 6), almost like new, still in their boxes for I think about $6 - $7 each including the shipping charge. I got lucky and checked it at the right time and found them as "Buy it now" so avoided a bidding war on evilBay.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It always amazes me how much people try to sell Double Dark Slides (DDS) for, there's an advert for 5 MPP ones (so probable registration issues) for £75 elsewhere and yet the Toyo/Lisco/Fidelity ones can be found for about £5 each second hand particularly if you buy a few from reputable dealers.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin