Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,500   Posts: 1,571,633   Online: 1120

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shen Hao PTB45 for wide angle use: which bellows, lensboard and ground glass

I have almost decided to get a Shen Hao PTB45 + 65mm and 90mm lenses + 6x12 / 6x9 roll film holder.

Questions:
    1) does the PTB45 need a bag bellows or/and recessed lens board for movements with the 65mm (when shooting 6x9)?

2) for 65mm and 90mm lenses, would it be wise to get an Ebony screen with wide-angle fresnel ? Or could I manage with the standard Shen Hao screen as I mainly will shoot 6x9 and 6x12?

3) could an Ebony screen with wide-angle fresnel be used with longer lenses, say 150mm or 250mm?

Any help appreciated !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I've been in your position a few months ago, and I ended up buying Chamonix 045N-2 instead. Considering very little difference in price, the main benefits are
    1) Universal bellows, so it works perfectly with my 90mm Super Angulon, and I bet there would be no problems with 65mm either.
    2) Fresnel lens (properly aligned) on the ground glass, so focusing with a wide angle lens is not too painful.

The workmanship for Chamonix cameras is really really good, I am very pleasantly surprised.

http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/45.html

Speaking of your questions:
    1) movements may be very restricted with 65mm lens when using standard bellows.
    2) You can focus using standard glass, but light falloff would make focusing difficult near the edges. Fresnel is better.
    3) Yes, fresnel screens work just fine with longer lenses. The only problem is properly aligning the screen, so you are not shifting the focus.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by vyshemirsky View Post
    I've been in your position a few months ago, and I ended up buying Chamonix 045N-2 instead.
    Chamonix 045N-2 would be a better alternative I think, but I must get the camera within a few weeks, and I don't know how long it takes to get a Chamonix...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    you'll want the bag bellows with either camera, trust me. I've owned both systems bellows. I also prefer the 45n-2.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    you'll want the bag bellows with either camera, trust me. I've owned both systems bellows. I also prefer the 45n-2.
    So even with the universal bellows on the 045N-2 it's movements are restricted when shooting 65mm with a 6x9cm back?
    Did you wait long for the Chamonix?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollei fan View Post
    So even with the universal bellows on the 045N-2 it's movements are restricted when shooting 65mm with a 6x9cm back?
    Did you wait long for the Chamonix?
    With a nikkor 65mm f4 sw (pictured) an inch of rise/fall is possible without forcing things to much. That's plenty on 6x9 format with that lens. You just have to pop the back off of the camera to make sure the bellows aren't obstructing the rear element. With my 90mm sw, the bellows restrict movements because the main bellows are bunched up too much for the huge rear element. I kept the leather shenhao bag bellows when I bought my chamonix since they fit both cameras (shenhao 45HZ and cham 45n-1, n-2). I you're going to be using short focal lengths all the time, I recommend spending the $125 for the bag bellows. I didn't wait long for my chamonix cameras since I bought both used on the large format photography forum.

the pics attached sideways but the idea is the same, appox. 1" of rise/ 1" of fall with the 65mm nikkor f4 focused at infinity.
    ALSO, if you plan on doing any infrared work, the chamonix bellows I had on my 45n-1 weren't IR proof. I haven't tested the universal bellows on my 45n-2 yet. The shen hao bellows (regular and bag) were IR proof though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails photo 2.JPG   photo 1.JPG  
    Last edited by wildbill; 02-27-2011 at 02:42 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I bought my Chamonix directly, and it took something between 2 and 3 weeks. No problems whatsoever, highly recommended.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! Obviously a bag bellows is a must for 65mm lens.
    I wonder whether the standard ground glass on the Chamonix would be useable with a 8/65mm lens?

(There are so many things to consider before making this kind of purchase )

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollei fan View Post
    Thanks! Obviously a bag bellows is a must for 65mm lens.
    I wonder whether the standard ground glass on the Chamonix would be useable with a 8/65mm lens?

(There are so many things to consider before making this kind of purchase )
    the factory gg/fresnel combo isn't that great. I had a 65mm f8 for a while and it was very difficult (in midday sun) to compose/focus.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    the factory gg/fresnel combo isn't that great.
    Do you have 45N-1 or 45N-2? There was a significant change in the design of the fresnel lens for the 45N-2.

I have a 90mm f/8 Super Angulon, It isn't easy to focus, but not impossible.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin