Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,717   Posts: 1,483,097   Online: 906

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Suggestions on a 90mm lens for 4x5?

I like to plan ahead and I think...the next lens may be a 90mm for my 4x5.
    What are suggestions on a really good 90mm?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends a lot on your budget. I have used a 90mm f/8 Schneider Super Angulon and loved it, but it is a lot dimmer than a faster version. Of course, faster versions are a lot more expensive and also a lot larger and heavier. Some folks will tell you that f/8 versions are completely a waste because they are too dim to focus properly. I disagree but do agree that it gets mighty dim on the ground glass with one of them and it is a real compromise. You are probably looking at $300 give or take for a good 90mm f/8, perhaps $450 - $600 for an f/5.6 and somewhat higher for an f/4.5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Depends largely on how you want to use it...

I have a nice 90mm f8 MC Super Angulon. It's very sharp, 67mm filter size and the coverage is plenty for my landscape work. Coverage is sufficient for my indoor architectural exposures where I'm focused closer than infinity and the image circle gets bigger. I've seen great deals on the Fuji f8 lately as well but haven't used one.

Part of me wishes I had bought a 5.6 or 4.5 version though. The f8 is fine in daylight with a good darkcloth but the golden hours and indoor exposures can make focusing tricky.

Then there is the Nikkor f8, bigger circle but it's still the dark f8 and costs more than the Schneider and Fuji.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 90mm f6.8 Grandagon is a lens worth looking for, extremely sharp, never flares, reasonably priced as well, particularly the rebadged Caltar version, but the Super Angulons are excellent as well. I picked up what I thought was an f8 4 years ago (with some other items), when I started using it I realised it was the f5.6 version

My 90mm Grandagon is Multi Coated, the 90mm Super Anglon coated and I can't see a difference it's got excellent flare resistance, I've 3 other coated (not MC) Super Angulons (65mm, 75mm & 165mm) and they are equally as good.

If you find a good one the tiny 90mm f6.8 Angulon's are very cheap, but older pre 6,00,*** serial no are a bit hit an miss, some and I had two are awful.

An f6.8 Grandagon should be around $400, an f8 SA a bit less and an f5.6 about the same coated, more MC, the f4.5 Grandagon's fetch higher prices.

As 90mm f6.8 Angulon, don;t pay more than about $150.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I too use a Multi Coated Super Angulon f8. It's not the brightest image around but with care it can be focused accurately. The results I am getting are excellent. I'm lucky in that my camera is fitted with a Boss screen and Ebony wide angle Fresnel so image brightness is considerably better than with my old Shen Hao.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The 90mm f6.8 Grandagon is a lens worth looking for, extremely sharp, never flares, reasonably priced as well, particularly the rebadged Caltar version...
    I have been using the Caltar II-N version and can vouch that Ian's assessment is correct. Here is a link to a few photos taken with the lens on both 4x5 and 120.

It is a good size hunk of glass, but that comes with the territory.

Steve
    Last edited by stevebrot; 02-26-2011 at 04:51 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    Good Evening, Barry,

I've bought the 90mm ƒ4.5 Caltar about twenty years ago. It's a great performer with only its bulk and high original cost as drawbacks.

Konical

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Nikon Nikkor 90mm 4.5

Not that I shoot fully open much but it's really nice to have the extra light for focusing...
    Cleared the bowel problem, working on the consonants...

Shooter
    Large Format
    I have used a 6,8 Grandagon and I own a 5,6 Super Angulon. Both are multicoated. Both are extremely sharp and offer top quality. It all depends on your budget. The Super Angulon is bigger and heavier than the Grandagon and uses 82mm filters while the other one used (if I remember correct) 67mm filters.

The SA is a bit brighter thus easier to focus, however I did not find the Grandagon that difficult to focus.

Depends a bit on your budget and perhaps on a good offer.

Of the two images, the winter scene was shot with a Crown Graphic and the Grandagon. The trees were shot using a Master Technika and the Super Angulon.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4x5-overstroming-ijssel017.jpg   4x5-kampina-winter-2.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    As mentioned above, first you need to assess your needs! And then your budget :-)

If size is a consideration, but expense is not, get an f/8 with multi-coating and a large image circle. The Nikkor f/8 is the best in this category, but my Schneider SA f/8, with only a 216mm image circle is a fine, very sharp lens. If you can live with the smaller coverage, then this or similar (Fuji, Rodenstock) are fine and will be cheaper. I do run out of coverage on my SA from time to time... But, I carry my lenses a long way. the 90mm SA f/8 is the largest lens I regularly carry.

If you need really small, you can go with a regular Angulon (which Ian mentioned above). However, the coverage with these leaves almost no room for movements. When I don't want to carry my 90mm because of size constraints, I take the f/6.3 100mm Wide-Field Ektar. It is close enough to 90mm, only slightly larger than the 90mm Angulon, and has enough extra coverage to make some movements possible. You might consider one of those if you are looking to minimize size and weight.

If you do architecturals or something else that takes lots of movements, you will need lots of coverage and a bigger lens. This means an f/5.6 90mm or even the Super Angulon XL (with 259mm circle, but a whopping 95mm filter size!). You can spend a lot for a little more coverage, so choose according to budget and real need here.

I have little problem with the f/8 versions focusing. Some, however, find the smaller maximum aperture dim and harder to focus. Try focusing one of your current lenses set at f/8 to see if you can live with the dimmer image for focusing. A good dark cloth and a Fresnel lens help a lot here. If you find you are not comfortable with the dimmer image, then it's back to a larger lens.

In the end, it's a compromise between size, coverage, brightness and cost (plus maybe whether you have filters already in a certain size).

Brand is less important. All the major brands are quality products and will yield excellent results.

Hope this helps some,

Doremus Scudder
    www.DoremusScudder.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin