Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,896   Posts: 1,520,992   Online: 833

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have used a lot of Tri-X in MF and have started using HP5 I like both of them. I was just curious if LF folks were into 400 speed film as well as 100? My favorite film is Adox CMS20 but they do not make it in 4x5.
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I prefer 100 speed film for MF and 400 for LF. Especially with 8x10 and using strobe you need a lot of power in one flash for people photography and the extra speed means and extra f stop. With MF I don't need f32, only f11.
    Dennis

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I was curious if LF shooters use 400 speed film as much as MF or 35mm shooters do?
    In 8x10 400 is all I use.

Shooter
    35mm
    I always use TMY.

I wish you could get D3200 in 4x5.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Yes, I shoot mostly 400 ISO color and black & white 4"x5". Grain is not a problem and I want the greater depth of field.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    400 speed film "almost" exclusively in LF. I started with Tri-X in 4x5 back in the early 80's and have kept with it. I purchased a box of FP-4 in 4x5 back in the mid 80's and guess what.....it is still in my freezer.

For 5x7, 8x10 and 7x17 I shoot TMY exclusively and contact print the negatives. Some of my favorite subject matter is moving water and I prefer that it not look like cotton candy....so I am usually shooting my lenses wide open. Any slower film just won't cut it. If your subject is landscapes shot at infinity on bright days or if you prefer fuzzy water, then a slower film will do.

As always, YMMV
    John Bowen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stradibarrius View Post
    I was curious if LF shooters use 400 speed film as much as MF or 35mm shooters do?
    Sure. But there are precious few ISO 400 options in LF, so people also do nutty things like push the holy hell out of slower films. The extra grain makes very little difference when you contact print or make minor enlargements. in fact the extra grain might actually be beneficial; I've seen cases where in my opinion it is. And I have seen 100 speed films pushed many stops (2 or 3) that nevertheless yield tonally smooth images. Personally, I've pushed hp5+ a stop or two in 5x7 format and really liked the results.

Better sense, I don't think I've gone to 3200 yet, in LF, but why not. I'd recommend trying hp5+. I bet you'll be surprised how smooth the print is.

Some time back I made some simple arguments about the relationship between format size and tonality that may (or may not!) interest you:

http://www.apug.org/forums/blogs/kei...-size-all.html

These arguments suggest that you can push to your heart's content in LF before you start to see a lot of grain, assuming of course that you will contact print or make minor enlargements.

Note also that there is a Fuji instant film, fp3000b45, that is an honest to goodness ISO 3000 LF film yielding very smooth images.
    "Only dead fish follow the stream"

[APUG Portfolio] [APUG Blog] [Website]

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I tend to use slower films (FP4, and copy film when I could get it.) I like the extra contrast slower films have -- and I take advantage of the extra contrast one gets due to reciprosity failure. I carbon print and the more contrast, the better, for the ways I work the process.

I use 8x10.
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use FP4+ at 100 ASA in all my 4x5 cameras, except the Razzle, when I use hand held; then I use HP5+ at 320 ASA.

Mick.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Since Retro 400s isn't in sheets, I'll be shooting Rollei IR400 unfiltered @ 400 when I can get my hads on it.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin