Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,828   Posts: 1,582,144   Online: 1071

Shooter
    Multi Format

Arca Swiss Orbix

I'm considering buying an Arca Swiss F, and am wondering whether the orbix is worthwhile? There are no shops carrying A-S anywhere near where I live, so unfortunately I'm relying on reading and pictures! I'm going to use the camera mainly for streetscapes, so I guess my use is a bit landscape, a bit architecture, and a bit street photography.

Can you tell from a picture whether a camera has the manual or geared orbix?

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoffsco View Post
    I'm considering buying an Arca Swiss F, and am wondering whether the orbix is worthwhile? There are no shops carrying A-S anywhere near where I live, so unfortunately I'm relying on reading and pictures! I'm going to use the camera mainly for streetscapes, so I guess my use is a bit landscape, a bit architecture, and a bit street photography.

Can you tell from a picture whether a camera has the manual or geared orbix?
    I couldn't live without it!!!!..Evan Clarke

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    If you think you want it, buy it with the camera. I had my first one retrofitted and it took months to get the standard back from France...EC

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Fline

The Orbix tilt has several things to recommend it. To begin with, it is not garden variety axis tilt. It is a nodal point tilt design. This means that when you use it, you focus on the far, like a base tilt, and tilt for the near. If you have not used any rise at this point, you will find that the far has not gone out of focus. You are done with the tilt! If you have some rise on you will still save time with far fewer iterations, than any other type of tilt. Should you now need a swing the camera will not yaw as most axis tilt cameras do. Very quick. More info at rodklukas.com
    I love mine and use it on many images.
    You can no longer get retrofitted Orbix. You must buy the camera with it. Or purchase a new frame with it already installed.
    Micro-Orbix tilt(geared) though, is a must if you ever want to go digital with your fline camera as the demands of digital are at least 4 times higher than for film.
    Rod

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin