Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,607   Posts: 1,622,629   Online: 1140

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by bdial View Post
    Here you go, a 4x5 speed and a 2x3 speed
    Wow...that's a pretty significant difference IMHO. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    Wow...that's a pretty significant difference IMHO. Thanks for taking the time to post them.

Jim
    I also have a 2x3 and a 4x5, and the 2x3 really is a much more intimate camera.

One thing I've toyed with, but never done, is put a couple of other lenses is boards, then make scales for them. I could read the factory scale for the rangefinder, then adjust to the appropriate scale for the installed lens.

But, as pointed out, 4x5 offers a lot more possibilities.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    I also have a 2x3 and a 4x5, and the 2x3 really is a much more intimate camera.

One thing I've toyed with, but never done, is put a couple of other lenses is boards, then make scales for them. I could read the factory scale for the rangefinder, then adjust to the appropriate scale for the installed lens.

But, as pointed out, 4x5 offers a lot more possibilities.

That's the fight I'm having with myself is that 4x5 is more versatile but the advantages of the smaller camera and lenses are what's calling me, especially since I'd likely strip all the finders, handles, etc off the body to make it a mini-field camera. I also have zero desire to work with sheet film at this point for various reasons, namely cost and practicality so I envision using roll film regardless of what camera I get.

I know it sounds like I'd be better off with an MF setup but I want the movements for landscape and architecture work.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I\'d say my 23 Linhof kit is half the size of my 45 Linhof kit, figuring 5-6 lenses. Everything scales down, like lensboards and filmholders, and rollfilm even more. Three 45 filmholders take as much space as around 15 rolls of 120. That\'s 6 sheets of 4x5 vs 150 shots on 6x7.
    Last edited by David A. Goldfarb; 03-03-2011 at 01:09 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jmooney View Post
    ... I also have zero desire to work with sheet film at this point for various reasons, namely cost and practicality so I envision using roll film regardless of what camera I get.
    Kind of funny, I'm gearing up to start using 2.25x3.25 sheet film. I've even been scheming how to cut it myself out of roll film so I'll have a better choice of emulsions.

I'll make sure to wave at you if we pass like ships in the night.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    35mm
    Kind of funny, I'm gearing up to start using 2.25x3.25 sheet film. I've even been scheming how to cut it myself out of roll film so I'll have a better choice of emulsions.

LOL...I'll be sure to wave too.

I guess I could have worded it more accurately. I'm always willing to try something in photography but my situation dictates that sheet film isn't a possibility.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    FWIW, I have a largish Photoflex hip bag (I think one of the Galen Rowell models). In it is a Century Graphic (with 90mm lens), 135 lens on board, 3-4 film holders, 1 roll film holder (Mamiya RB), plus room for meter and a few rolls of film.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by juan View Post
    I use a Mamiya RB67 with sheet film holders.
    juan
    I have used my rb67 with a grafmatic back, two problems, the focus is soft, and the rb gives you less control than a speed graphic, not more.

I would adapt a 4x5 field to 2x3 with a custom back made from a trashed speed graphic and call it done.
    One day though, you might get tired of those fiddly little pieces of film. I did. As for wet plate, do old plate holders work or do you have a different setup for that?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Horseman 2x3/6x9 cameras are pretty inexpensive. Here is one for less than $400:
    Horseman 6x9 VH, (3) lens boards, Horseman cable release, Ex++ $359.
    http://www.igorcamera.com/large_format.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    If you figure out a good way of doing that I'd be interested in your method as I've thought of doing this myself but cringe at the thought of trying to get curled 2x3 sheets into holders.

Ryan

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin