Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 934

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Tony, it is black. A small version of Cambo's 4x5 bail back. I can just barely use a 2x3 AAR 620 with it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dan. How is it with sheet film holders?
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A while ago I put together a Busch 23 by changing the spring back to a Graphic 23 International back. I collected four Grafmatic holders, three Graphic roll holders, and over twenty brand new in box sheet film holders. The one problem with the setup is the lens board on this model isn't interchangeable and the focus of the Kalart is exactly configured to the lens a 101 mm in a Rapax shutter. The lens is in excellent condition as the camera and lens was used very little if any.

All that said I was checking on film for it and found of course the supply of emulsions I wanted were gone. One day I was looking for a die cutter punch and noticed the one's for sale that were called 2 1/4 x 3 1/4 and were for small prints cut by a photo processor. I called the company after measuring the exact size of a sheet of film and found that they weren't the same. It's a descriptor like a 2x4 isn't 2x4 but is small in the finished size.

They wouldn't make one for me, a US company, so I browsed the net and found a company in either China or Hong Kong that would make a custom die cutter in exactly the dimensions I needed, the size of a sheet of 2 1/4 sheet film. And if that wasn't enough they would put a notch of any shape in the cutter for the emulsion side, and that was included in the cost of the die cutter.

The cost was just a dollar or two over a hundred dollars for one die cutter. I forget now what the dimensions are, again I don't have the figures handy but they will make it from a sheet of film which leaves the discussion aside. I wanted one so I could use Ilford FP4 and other emulsions not available off the shelf. An expensive sheet of film can be die cut down to many sheets. I'd have to scrub hundreds of emails over the last couple of years to find it but it's one possibility. No razor blade and no scratches and cuts on the hands or sitting in the dark for long periods. You would have to be a hard core 2 1/4 sheet film user to do this but I think it's the best home possibility.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by aoresteen View Post
    Thanks Dan. How is it with sheet film holders?
    No idea. I don't use 'em, have none. Should work well, that's what it is made for. The problem with the AAR 620 is that with the back in landscape orientation (long side parallel to the top of the rail) the holder's film chamber just clears the tilt mechanism. If you don't know what an AAR 620 looks like, look for an image of a C-2 roll holder.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...I browsed the net and found a company in either China or Hong Kong that would make a custom die cutter in exactly the dimensions I needed, the size of a sheet of 2 1/4 sheet film. And if that wasn't enough they would put a notch of any shape in the cutter for the emulsion side, and that was included in the cost of the die cutter...I'd have to scrub hundreds of emails over the last couple of years to find it but it's one possibility...
    I'd be very appreciative if you could find that contact. My interest would be in such a device to cleanly and precisely cut down 8x10 film to wholeplate (6-1/2 x 8-1/2). A substantially larger -- and probably more expensive -- cutter than what you bought, but one that would greatly expand the range of emulsions available in my favorite format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't order one but I'll check to find the company email.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    I'd be very appreciative if you could find that contact. My interest would be in such a device to cleanly and precisely cut down 8x10 film to wholeplate (6-1/2 x 8-1/2). A substantially larger -- and probably more expensive -- cutter than what you bought, but one that would greatly expand the range of emulsions available in my favorite format.
    I trekked down the same path in 2008. I got this response from one company.

"Sorry, 2 1/4x3 1/4 with rounded-corner is stock size, but 2 1/4x 3 1/4 with squared-corner is custom-made size. Please contact union & brothers at 310-538-8770 for custom-made cutter delivery time and price (about $300-350). Tks."

I did not pursue it past this. Let us know if you have success.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That was the about the same response I got when looking and asking. The cutter I found was a custom made one and the cost was $100.00, it is from China and the die is custom made in a stock die cutter so the over all size is limited. Fortunately the size of a sheet film is smaller than the stock cutter size and that's why they will make it. So it's not the cutter for a large sheet like 8x10, the throat sized for the larger sheet to be cut down is about 4 inches as I recall and from a draft request I found. The film is loaded top or bottom and the cut out is horizontal or perpendicular to the feed sheet.

I also found that my RB67 sheet film holders have sheaves that are removable allowing them to use 6.5 X 9 cm film which is 2 1/4 X 3 1/2 inches. I'd have to ask about a cutter for that size is I wanted to use them without the sheaths. I'm not sure, because I've not measured a sheet of 4X5, just how many 2 1/4 X 3 1/4 inch sheets one can get from a sheet. Two for sure three maybe, I'd have to measure so the cost is at least the same per sheet as half of a sheet of 4X5. The real goal here is to use film emulsions not available off the shelf.

I have the RB and holders and have a Busch "C" 23; 2 1/4 X 3 1/4; and being able to use films other than Arista and Efke is a definite plus for some shots. I'll keep looking for the company.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I might well have done it for $100. The price I got for a US made one was more than I had at the time.

But this thread has my interest up again.

As I mentioned earlier, I did a little measuring, and if you look at a roll of 120 you can cut two 2x3 pieces off the end, then slit the remainder into 127 and 16mm. Wind the film backwards on an Adapt-a-roll 620 for a couple of days before slicing to get rid of the curl.

Crazy, but fun.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Curt View Post
    ...it's not the cutter for a large sheet like 8x10, the throat sized for the larger sheet to be cut down is about 4 inches as I recall and from a draft request I found...
    Oh, well. Thanks anyway for researching it Curt!

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin