Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,968   Posts: 1,523,434   Online: 1020

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Finding the perfect 2x3

I work in wet plate and love the intimacy of a 2x3 image. Sadly, good cameras are hard to come by. I've had some success with Century Graphics and have recently upgraded to a used Galvin. But I'm looking for something that offers more control and would love some advice. Specifically:

- Does anyone have direct experience with the Shen Hao clone of the Ebony 2x3? The price is right, but I'm not sure a wooden camera is the way I want to go.

- The Toyo 23G looks to be absolutely perfect for my needs, but some serious searching hasn't turned one up. They seem to be extremely rare.

– Are there other cameras I should consider? I'd like to keep the cost below $1000, so Ebony, Horseman and the new Toyo 2x3 for digital backs are out.

Thanks!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For about a tenth of your budget get a British 1/4 plate camera from the 1880's 0 1920;s and make an adaptor back. and it looks the part

well that's what it used to look like Enough movements as well.

Ian

Now

It has the original lens and a push on Thornton Pickard shutter as well as another board with a coated Trinar 105 in a Compur shutter, as well as a 6x7 adaptor back

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dcelfving View Post
    I work in wet plate and love the intimacy of a 2x3 image. Sadly, good cameras are hard to come by. I've had some success with Century Graphics and have recently upgraded to a used Galvin. But I'm looking for something that offers more control and would love some advice. Specifically:

- Does anyone have direct experience with the Shen Hao clone of the Ebony 2x3? The price is right, but I'm not sure a wooden camera is the way I want to go.

- The Toyo 23G looks to be absolutely perfect for my needs, but some serious searching hasn't turned one up. They seem to be extremely rare.

– Are there other cameras I should consider? I'd like to keep the cost below $1000, so Ebony, Horseman and the new Toyo 2x3 for digital backs are out.

Thanks!
    I have a ShenHao TFC45 that I bought on a lark, I also have the Ebony 45S version. The Shenhao is a well made camera and I actually put together a little grab kit with 3 holders, a 150 lens a loupe, small dark cloth and a cable release. The whole thing only weighs 5 or 6 pounds and I have found occasion to use it...EC

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use a Mamiya RB67 with sheet film holders.
    juan

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can probably find a Linhof Technika 23 of older vintage in your price range, particularly if you don't need rangefinder cammed lenses, or maybe with one cammed lens. If you want a 2x3 Tech III or IV with cammed lenses, I'd recommend looking for a kit that includes three cammed lenses (the cams have three lobes for three different lenses), since there aren't many people who will grind cams for the older cameras, though Linhof will cam lenses for the 2x3 Tech V (the last version, which they stopped selling a few years ago). If you plan to focus on the groundglass and have no interest in using the rangefinder, then you don't need lens cams. They made a rangefinderless version called the "study camera." There was also the Tech 70 with an integrated top mounted rangefinder, and 2x3" Technika Press with helical mounted lenses.

I have a Tech V 23b, which is the version with the flap on top for front rise with extra wide lenses, like the last version of the 4x5" Master Technika.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    After having used both a Silvestri and a Horseman VHR and now using a 4x5 field camera, I can only advice you to buy a 4x5 camera instead of a 2x3. A 2x3 weighs almost the same as a 4x5 camera so you win nothing there. The 4x5 gives you the possibility to use 2x3, as well as 6x7, 6x12 and 4x5. Once you have shot 4x5, it is hard to get back to 2x3.

Shooter
    35mm
    This is a timely thread because I'm looking at 2x3's myself. Does anyone have a picture of a 2x3 graphic next to a 4x5 graphic? It would be great to see what the size difference truly is. I poked around flickr but didn't find much.

Jim

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Here you go, a 4x5 speed and a 2x3 speed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails big and little1.jpg   big and little 2.jpg  

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    here's one for sale -- I have no connection with the seller///

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ad.php?t=73008
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Horseman is out with a budget of $1,000, but Linhof is in?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin