Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,472   Posts: 1,597,511   Online: 1216

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handheld 4x5

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    heck I've used my wooden field camera as a handheld. i use a wideangle like a 90mm, Metz 45CT4 if flash is needed and fast film. stop er down, prefocus on about 10 feet and let er rip. it's worked great! the shot I took out of the plane window was done this way. I think it's still in my gallery.
    www.ericrose.com
    yourbaddog.com

"civility is not a sign of weakness" JFK

"The Dude abides" - the Dude

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb
    Consider a Graflex reflex camera. If you find one in good working order, these are very quick to focus, but no flash sync.

It takes some practice to do this with a rangefinder press camera, because the focus window is separate from the framing window, but it can be done. Of course a slightly wide lens and flash will give you a little more margin of error.
    while a super speed graphic would be a great thing to have, i'd second david's suggestion and get a graflex slr. if you can find a super d, they are the last ones that were made, and i know the 3x4s have a flash sync. they are pretty easy to focus, and with a little practice they work pretty well for "action" photography but just the same, if you can get the "zone focus" thing down with a speed/ super speed you can pop-up the sports finder (the wire that pops up on the front standard) or the viewer ( if you have the masks for the different viewers) and you have yourself a giant point and shoot !

i used to climb on a switchbox, focus at infinity and use the sports finder (never could find all the masks ), not to photograph kids but building wrecking crews that were tearing down local landmarks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Have a look at this thread from the other day. I am thinking about one!

http://www.apug.org/forums/showthread.php?t=8807
    David Boyce

When bankers get together for dinner, they discuss art. When artists get together for dinner, they discuss money. Oscar Wilde Blog fp4.blogspot.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sorry, this has nothing to do with the topic really, but it IS something I found funny: earlier today someone thrust a digital camera on me and I found it next to impossible to point the thing. It was one of those hold-away-from-body-and-squint-at-screen jobbers and I was always moving it in the wrong direction because I'm so used to reverse images on the gg. For a moment I thought I was losing my mind and couldn't figure out what was wrong with me -- thought I'd lost all hand-eye coordination. Then, of course, it "clicked."

Got a chuckle out of it.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I've bee using a century graphic 2x3 handheld for a few months. I've calibrated the Kalart rangefinder (from instructions on graflex.org) with my 80mm f2.8 Xenotar. It is very accurate down to about 3 ft. A 4x5 like the graflex or busch would be easy to use in this mode as well. I would second the reccomendation for a monopod. Not only do they allow for slower shutter speeds, but they make a 2x3 or 4x5 much easier to handle.

Also fast lenses and film make life easier.

I am also going to try my century with a Vivitar 285 flash in auto mode.

century 2x3 xenotar f2.8 80mm

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    I ended up getting a 4x5 Super D, and have been having a great time with it. I need a faster lens, though, and I have some HP5 on the way so I can try pushing it some...

Shooter
    Large Format

Century Graphic

My Crown Graphic is a bit cumbersome for handheld situations so I also bought a Century Graphic. Plenty of 120mm roll film available; and 2X3 sheet film available from J&C as well as Ilford HP5. It isn't much larger than some of the more cumbersome 35mm's (or digi's), but far more versatile.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    There is the Peter Gowland line of handheld 4x5, 5x7 and 8x10:

http://www.petergowland.com/camera/index.html

Also the Littman, but very expensive. It's a 4x5 rangefinder made from a converted Polaroid 110 body:

http://www.littman45single.com/

I have never used either one, but Peter Gowland is well-respected. If you visit the Littman site, he has a gallery of images produced with his cameras. I like the Havana portfolio the most. I almost got one on eBay recently, but someone outbid me.

Have fun!

-Mike

As most of you know I have the Littman w/150 and use it occasionally for shooting kids.

I've been travelling quite a bit lately so haven't used it as much as I would have liked but it seems pretty cool.

Michael McBlane
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

I've got a 8x10 Gowland handheld--- great for aerials and stuff where you're focused at infinity(in fact I'm taking it skiing this winter!) but kids?? For handheld work I doubt if you could find a more proven LF camera than a Graphic or Graflex(or Linhof). If Weegee could do it, so can you!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin