Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,816   Posts: 1,581,635   Online: 846

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Handheld 4x5

Max

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Handheld 4x5

I know this is the ultimate forum faux pas, as there is a wealth of information about handholding 4x5s, but that's the problem - where to begin?!?

I was thinking of picking up a Super Speed Graphic, but the more I read, the more I got confused. Is there something better?

I mostly shoot 8x10 (after years of 35mm), but I'm thinking it would be nice to have the 4x5 to get a little more DOF for taking pictures of my infant daughter who doesn't understand "stay there" and "sit still."

Anyone got pointers for where to begin?

Images
    Tried it with my son and a Busch pressman. Not a worthy combination. You need fast auto focus and agility. I bought a MF camera, no auto focus though but with practice I am getting faster at focusing. Made the job a hell of a lot easier. It has been the only camera purchase my wife has been happy about.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Speed Graphic, strong flash, zone focus. Weegee.
    juan

Images
    An aquaintance of mine used to do 8x10 with polaroid at the auto races. He sold the prints on the spot. Don't know the camera, but he used it on a monopod.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    check B&S, the HOBO

As I recall, if you prefocus for infinity at 20', use the sports finder and a fast lens like the ubitqitous 127mm Ektar. You can get nice shots when stopped down to f8. Far more accurate instructions are available a www.graflex.org, just check their forums archives.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Consider a Graflex reflex camera. If you find one in good working order, these are very quick to focus, but no flash sync.

It takes some practice to do this with a rangefinder press camera, because the focus window is separate from the framing window, but it can be done. Of course a slightly wide lens and flash will give you a little more margin of error.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Its doable, just need to remember that you are shooting a speed graphic, and not a 35mm. The process is a little bit different. Usually it is easier to focus on a spot and just try to keep that distance between you and the subject, instead of constantly changeing the distance and trying to refocus. If you can find a graphic, or similar with a Kalart Focuspot on it, you can turn that on indoors and get a visual reference to where your focus is without having to keep switching bewteen the rangefinder and viewfinder. I shoot my brother's kid and my other brother's dogs handheld just for practice. The young child is nothing compared to two overworked canines. (Very young children just can't move *that* fast compared to a big dog of the same age)

Attached image: f/8 with flash. Tri-x 320 developed in Diafine. Anny Speed graphic with Wollensak 135mm Raptar.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails em.jpg  
    Last edited by Sjixxxy; 09-14-2004 at 06:23 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Better wording

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've said it before...Why not use the right tool for the job. For consistant results, Fast moving kids requires 35mm or medium format if you must have the large neg. Don't pound screws with a hammer.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I use my Speed Graphic handheld all the time. It's a bit cumbesome but if you get one with a working rangefinder (one that works correctly) it's not that much more difficult than medium format. Add a set of Grafmatic backs and you practically have a motor drive.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin