Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,962   Posts: 1,523,147   Online: 968

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Difference between a Super Angulon and a Angulon

I can see from photos the the Angulon is a short lens and the Super Angulon is longer and I assume heavier.

What is the main functional difference?
    "Generalizations are made because they are generally true"
    Flicker http://www.flickr.com/photos/stradibarrius
    Barry
    Monroe, GA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, that's like asking what's the difference between Man and Superman. Would you put your faith in man to save the world, or go faster than a speeding bullet, or withstand kryptonite?

I didn't think so.....

(sorry, it's Friday!)
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Barry, you continue to astound. Learn to search, if not on the great wide Internet then inside the forums you post on.

For lens cross-sections and claimed coverages, look here: http://www.schneiderkreuznach.com/archiv/archiv.htm

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have the same question. Thanks for the link Dan, but I think that you need to chill out just a little (:

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Super Angulon is a later and better design. The Super Angulons are not necessarily longer.
    Charles Hohenstein

Shooter
    Multi Format
    In the 210mm focal length the older Angulon makes a better backpack lens for 8x10. The Super Angulon in that size needs its own suitcase (3 kg), which limits its backpack use (unless you have a dedicated assistant just to carry the lens ) So, sometimes being slower than a speeding bullet is better
    Last edited by ic-racer; 03-11-2011 at 05:30 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Super Angulons covered a larger film area. I have a 90mm Angulon and it covers 4x5 but has no room for movements. A super angulon makes a larger image circle.
    Chris Crawford
    Fine Art Photography of Indiana and other places no one else photographs.

http://www.chriscrawfordphoto.com

My Tested Developing Times with the films and developers I use

Become a fan of my work on Facebook

Fort Wayne, Indiana

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    If I recall, the super angulon is a Biogon design. I'm not sure how the Angulon is constructed.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    According to “a lens collector’s vade mecum 2nd edition”, the Biogon is an asymmetrical lens with 7 elements in 4 groups while the Super Angulon is a symmetrical lens with 6 elements in 4 groups. My 120 mm Super Angulon covers 8x10with some movements. I have used it with the 8x10 at f/64.

The Angulon has 6 elements in 2 groups , similar to the Dagor, only the powers of the individual lenses are reversed. Hence it is sometimes called a reverse “Dagor”. The Angulons had oversized front and rear elements, giving them their great coverage. The pre-war versions have more coverage than the post-war ones and my 1938 16.5 cm will drown the 8x10 with coverage and the image quality at the smallest aperature is excellent even way out.

The oversized front and rear elements as well as the slower speed of the Super Angulon offer less fall-off at the edge although the early Angulons had much more coverage than the Super Angulons. I own both and I have had each out to the vignette and compared their qualities at their smallest apertures.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chazzy View Post
    The Super Angulon is a later and better design. The Super Angulons are not necessarily longer.
    I think Barry means longer as in physical size and the Angulons of any focal length are very significantly smaller than the same FL Super Angulon.

If your lucky to pick up a good post WWII coated 90mm f6.8 Angulon they are great lenses for their size, but they need to be used at f22 before performance get close to the larger 90mm Super Angulons.

As has been said the 90mm Angulons just cover 5x4, it's not worth paying much for one unless you've tried and tested the quality first, unless weight is a big consideration I'd buy a Super Angulon or similar, I do use an Angulon at times for hand held work but my SA & Grandagon are far better all round wide angle lenses.

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin