Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,616   Online: 737

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: TLR ????

Shooter
    35mm

TLR ????

Hi all,

I am starting MF photography and I start this buying a TLR camera, Mamiya C330F.
    I didn't evaluate all the aspect this choice gives, it had been simply a "heart" choice... Well, reading about MF SLR I found they are lighter, versatile etc...
    Can you indicate to me the positive aspect (the negative too if you want) of using a TLR instead a SLR?
    Do anyone of you have both to explain ot me when using one or the other?
    Maybe I will buy a MF SLR in the future, a Hassy will be a "head and heart" choice maybe.
    Thank you
    Stark

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I have a Hasselblad and a C330, as well as having owned and used many other MF cameras. The Hasselblad and the Mamiya are both excellent cameras, with sharp lenses, but I use them in different ways.

In general I use the Hasselblad if I need to use a Polaroid back to proof images, say, if I'm shooting transparency materials under studio lighting. It's especially useful for close up work because, being an SLR, there are no parallax problems and I can easily attach polaroid filters etc.
    But, if I'm shooting b&w on location and the exposure readings are less critical, I'll use the Mamiya because it's a simpler, more robust, camera and therefore less likely to go wrong.

Regards
    Jerry

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Owning the same camera myself they are awesome bits of kit! The main negative for me is close focusing since you are unable to see everything in the frame. Once you get used to that by making use of the guides on the viewer it’s a doddle.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, that was a brave move! The C330F is a fine camera but large, complex and has superb lenses available. I see in another thread you're already doing 35mm but you don't say what style of photograph you prefer to make so it's a little hard to advise. Since you've already bought the Mamiya I'd say to stick with it, use it, see how comfortable you are with it and then after some time make a decision about whether or not you want to change.
    It will be a decision based on convenience - not on image quality!
    Mamiya TLR - large, bulky, great interchangeable lenses.
    Rolleiflex TLR or similar - less bulk, fixed lens, quiet.
    Hasselblad - great design, can be high maintenance, heavy (especially with tele or wide lens options) noisy shutter/mirror.
    Fuji and other RF's - light, some fixed, some interchangeable models, some prone to breakage. Some different formats available - not just 6x6.
    Older folding 120 cameras too, but condition and lens quality might be an issue.

Above all, make sure you first handle and try anything you're thinking of buying.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stark_674 View Post
    Can you indicate to me the positive aspect (the negative too if you want) of using a TLR instead a SLR?
    I have both a Rolleiflex and a Hasselblad. They are both fantastic cameras.

For candid, quiet photography the Rolleiflex is better. It's smaller, lighter, much quieter and (usually) inconspicuous.
    The Hasselblad lets you use different lenses, has changeable backs (B&W, color negative film, etc.) and has a brighter viewfinder.

I love them both
    Those who know, shoot film

Shooter
    35mm

Thank you

Thanks for the replies,

Usually I like to perform 35mm portraits or handheld life.
    I like to go walking around, and walking and walking.... Finding a corner, or a little particular, then I like to take a picture, in quiet way I can say.
    So, my doubt is related to the heavy body Mamiya have.
    1 hr with my dear C330 on the neck should be sustainable? Its weight is about 1700 grams, I am thinking on a bag or something to put it inside.
    The major doubt on the use I will do is the weight: how much can weight a MF SLR as Hasselblad or RB67 for example?
    My Contax RTSII with my Planar 1,7 50mm maybe is something less 1000 grams. and is not so heavy to take around.
    Bye to all
    And thanks again!!!!!!1
    Stark

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Well Stark;
    I guess it boils down to how passionate you are about what you are photographing and using the best instrument for the job, regardless of weight. I've shot over 400 weddings, over 100 of these were with a Speed Graphic, I then moved to a Koni Omega and probably shot more than 200 with an RB67. I went from flashbulbs to an Ascorlight with a 12lb battery pack and completed my wedding career with a Vivitar 365. In all those years I think my lightest kit weighed over 11 lb and the heaviest 27lb and I was only 135lbs and as a woman I can tell you it was hard work but I had a great passion for it and I used the equipment that produced the best results for me at the time. The Mamiya tlr is a great camera and you won't be disappointed with the results, perhaps so much that you'll probably forget all about the weight.

Denise Libby

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by archer View Post
    I went from flashbulbs to an Ascorlight with a 12lb battery pack
    I can just about remember my father using a very early electronic flash for weddings which had a leather case packed with 90 volt portable valve (tube) radio batteries to provide the high voltage).

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Don't walk with it on a neck strap (your head will fall off!), keep it in a sling bag or something. You can also cradle it in your non-dominant arm between the elbow and wrist quite comfortably while walking - at least I do that with an RZ. Personally I go walking with an RZ but it's certainly not around my neck. Depending on the light and what I expect to see, I might just take the 110/2.8 and WLF (no bag, just camera in left hand), or I might bring the bag with a spare lens and back or two. An RB will be even heavier again, don't even think about that if weight is an issue.

High quality, light MF options tend to be pretty expensive (Hasselblad, Mamiya 6 and 7) or a bit cheesy (folders). Maybe consider a GA645i if rangefinders don't bother you.

Edit: quit worrying. Load it up and go for a walk, see if it works for you and it'll probably be fine. The novelty factor will overcome the weight and when you get those big negs back and printed, it's all worth it. Sure it's bigger/heavier than your 35mm gear, but everything in medium format will be to an extent and it's definitely worth carrying. Even a Mamiya 7 is beastly compared to all but the very largest 35mm SLRs.
    Last edited by polyglot; 03-15-2011 at 07:44 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a Rolleiflex and a RB67, both are different, but I like them!

Jeff

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin