Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,767   Posts: 1,516,489   Online: 872

Shooter
    Instant Films

Interested in a nice 4x5" to use the Fuji FP Film

Hey,

i'm very interested in the fuji fp 4x5" instant-film but have no idea which camera would be quite affordable (for a student). One hears alot of the Graflex Speed Graphic - what do you think about it? Alternatives?

Would be great if you could help me!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can use any 4x5 camera where the back opens wide enough for the pa45 film holder. Some of the leaf-spring style backs don't open far enough as the pa45 is thick. Prewar (wwII) speed graphics won't. Post war speed graphics (and crowns) will. Look specifically for the chrome spring loaded arms as shown in this photo of my frankenstein speed graphic with pa45. A separate battery powered timer/stopwatch is handy too for scheduling the peel apart if you don't wear a watch. As far as non-graflex cameras, you will have to ask specifically about that model and it's ability to hold the pa45.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    One other thing to consider is getting a Polaroid 405 or the Fuji equivalent back and shooting the smaller 3.25" X 4.25" pack film. The image is smaller, but the price is more than proportionately lower. The color 3.25 X 4.25 film sells for $8.50 for ten at B&H while the 4X5 sells for $26.59, almost exactly triple the price. I have the Polaroid 405 and use it with my Wista metal field camera and love it. It will fit in most cameras, but it is probably worth checking out to be sure.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The only problem with the Polaroid 405 is that it sometimes gets stuck, as I discovered to my cost with my Ebony 45SU! I agree however that the running costs of the 405 are far cheaper.
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Thingy View Post
    The only problem with the Polaroid 405 is that it sometimes gets stuck, as I discovered to my cost with my Ebony 45SU! I agree however that the running costs of the 405 are far cheaper.
    It sure is tight in my Wista, but I haven't had it get stuck yet. I can't see how the 4X5 version would be better, since the film the OP is asking about is pack film and that is all that is left. Perhaps the 4X5 holders are thinner, but I can't imagine why they would be.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin