Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,453   Online: 1024

Shooter
    Medium Format

Rodenstock 210mm APO Sironar-N Copal #0 vs Copal #1

From what I've read, the physical sizes of these two lens are different, 0 is smaller/lighter and 1 is bigger/heavier. Also the 0 has the fastest shutter speed of 1/500, 1 has fastest shutter speed for 1/400.

So is it safe to assume that Copal 0 is better? It's lighter and has faster shutter speed?

Will the copal size affect the image quality?

E

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 210 Sironar-N doesn't fit a Copal 0 shutter the cells are too large, it's only sold in a size #1 shutter Copal or Copal Press etc.

The Linos/Rodenstok data does give full details

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    From what I've read, the physical sizes of these two lens are different, 0 is smaller/lighter and 1 is bigger/heavier. Also the 0 has the fastest shutter speed of 1/500, 1 has fastest shutter speed for 1/400.

So is it safe to assume that Copal 0 is better? It's lighter and has faster shutter speed?

Will the copal size affect the image quality?

E
    Do you mean the APO-Sironar-S(!) instead of APO-Sironar-N? I don't see an APO version of the Sironar-N on the Rodenstock website:

http://www.rodenstock-photo.com/en/m...apo-sironar-s/

Also, the lens test list here, only lists a normal, non APO, 210 mm version of the Sironar-N:

http://www.hevanet.com/cperez/testing.html

which is consistent with my own Sironar-N F5.6 210 mm, that doesn't have an APO tag on the barrel. It has a Copal No.1 shutter.

It is not my most used lens, and the few times I used it, I was a bit disappointed with the sharpness compared to my other Schneider-Kreuznach lenses. This comes as no surprise though, as when you look at the above mentioned lens test, the 210 Sironar-N version does not score high points. The APO Sironar-S versions of the 210 mm lenses, do much better though.

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The APO-Sironar-N line is now discontinued, so does not show on Rodenstock's site, but at one time they offered a complete lineup with both -N and -S designations. Both 210s were in Copal 1 shutters. The much rarer 210mm APO-Sironar-W was in a Copal 3.

The table here

http://www.prograf.ru/rodenstock/lar...en.html#table1

shows the whole line.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    ok i guess copal #0 doesn't exist for this particular lens.

But I want to know if the copal # affects the image quality at all?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rinthe View Post
    ok i guess copal #0 doesn't exist for this particular lens.

But I want to know if the copal # affects the image quality at all?
    No

The Shutter is positioned at or very close to the Nodal Point of the lens

The Glass Elements, their coatings and the quality of the light baffling of the Lens Barrel are the main players in optical quality.

Of course if you are looking at second hand pieces of glass, how much TLC or abuse your lens has seen makes a huge difference to its performance

Martin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin