Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,300   Posts: 1,535,812   Online: 709

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Perculiar double exposure problem with a Grafmatic, any insight welcome!

Good afternoon everyone,

I've just found something very, very strange from one of my Grafmatic backs, which I can't for the life of me work out just how on earth it has happened!

I've just been developing sheets from a session I shot last week, on one of my backs, sheets 3-6 are fine, they look great and everything as you would expect it. Sheet 1, however, is a double exposure of 1 & 6, sheet 2 looks like many multiple exposures, enough to send the image area completely black (in negative). The borders of #2 are strange as well, the top edge (notch end, away from the Grafmatic handle & numbering end) is exposed right to the edge, which to me would suggest it somehow wasn't seated properly when it was brought forward, exposing right to the edge of the film. However, the border on the numbered end of the sheet looks to be about the right thickness, possibly from the other multiple exposures... wherever they came from!

This holder in question was last used and worked flawlessly just a couple days before loading it up for this shoot, so it's not as though it's a back I've had problems with before.

What I find most strange is the combining of #'s 1 & 6, the images look like a proper double exposure, the exposure looks about right, both images can be clearly seen on the film, so it's not as though one was shot properly and the other was more a 'serious light leak', as would be the case if the two septums had been brought forward together... but, sheet 6 itself is perfect, exposure looks about spot on... I just can't explain that at all!

Anyone have any ideas???

My goal in life, is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Are you sure you fired only 6 shots?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Positive, the first shot in the following back is the next in sequence. If I had tried to continue on past the 6th sheet, the lock would have pulled the whole cartridge out, preventing me from exposing the first sheet again... which is what makes it so strange...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hmm, that is quite mind-boggling. I have two Grafmatics here and can't for the life of me come up with a mechanism that would make that happen.

Multiple exposures on one sheet could happen if you just forget to "cock" the next frame; you can open and close the dark slide however many times as you like. The overlap of the first and last frame is really strange. The only thing I can think right now is if you had only 5 holders inside instead of 6.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    You can get some leak-through around the thumb notch on the septum, if you forget to push the darkslide back in behind the top septum before making the exposure.

If the whole sheet is double exposed, then the counter must not be working, and you're taking extra shots.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David A. Goldfarb View Post
    If the whole sheet is double exposed, then the counter must not be working, and you're taking extra shots.
    It would sure look that way, but all my counters are working well, and generally one would think six isn't a very hard number to count to in your head the only thing I can think for that 6+1 double exposure, is that I must have somehow thumbed the counter dial back around to 6 when it was on X. As for the multiple exposures on #2, I still have no way of explaining that... I was confident I only took the 6 shots on that back, I could forgive myself for trying to sneak a 7th in, the last couple shots were in a fairly quick sequence, trying to get the model's hair just right with the fans, but definitely not any more than that... hmmm, puzzling...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Shutter stuck open? Children who may have been playing with your camera?
    DARKROOM AUTOMATION
    f-Stop Timers - Enlarging Meters
    http://www.darkroomautomation.com/da-main.htm

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin