Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,553   Posts: 1,544,933   Online: 875

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Safely storing undeveloped negatives.

Hi all. I'm sorry I'm so new and already starting topics, but this is something that Google isn't returning results on (or I'm using the wrong key words.)

I have a self-built pin-hole camera that houses 4x5. Usually shooting with it isn't a problem because I immediately move the exposed film into my development tank and use that to store it/them 'til I'm ready to process (usually no more than a day.)

The problem is - I just ordered colour film and I don't have the facilities available to develop them myself. I'm wondering... how can I store and move it safely?

I realise this is something I should've really researched before I went out and bought them... but I get excited. Hah.

Cheers for any advice you can give!
    (I was torn between here and Pinhole... but now that I've already committed this to LF I realise it probably should've gone in Color: Film..., yikes, I'm sorry!)
    Last edited by limnides; 03-27-2011 at 03:49 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Images
    You can store and ship the sheets in empty light-tight three-piece boxes in which film is supplied. If you are just getting started, perhaps someone can send an extra box your way.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Oh, that's fantastically simple and beautifully easy. I think I know where I can snatch one. Thank you so much.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have this problem, why i can't buy those 3-boxes from those well known online stores? My problem is that i shoot more than one kind of film [B&W and colors] and i don't have any empty box yet and i can't find it anywhere here in my country, and asking some members here to sent it to me will cost me more than just box of sheets pack, but i wish to find those boxes for storage from some online dealers/stores.

Shooter
    Large Format
    You might want to use a black plastic bag (like ilford uses to package their film and paper) inside the three tiered box as additional insurance. These are available, for example, here: http://www.freestylephoto.biz/4135-B...for-Mailer-4x5 among other places.

I have never seen 3 tiered boxes for sale, but they are the detritus of the large format shooter. If you know anyone else who shoots 4x5, they will have several boxes lying around. Make sure you mark which one is "Exposed C-41 only" on the outside. (or E-6 or what have you).

One thing you can do is buy two boxes of film and put the unexposed film into one box. This works well with 10 sheet boxes, which are the same size as 25 sheet boxes. Kodak 50 sheet boxes are the same size as Ilford's 100 sheet boxes, also.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Unfortunately I'm the only one at the moment that I'm aware of that shoots 5x4. but on saying that, I'm sure I can find a box floating around the photography suite - or, at the least, an extra black bag. Thank you kindly for your advice - the box size hint is really useful to know. (:

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin