Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,171   Online: 722

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=Ian Grant;1161096]The owner can be found on the Forums it just depends on what Name he's (Aliases) using at the time. It's a great shame he doesn't get his act together as it's a good magazine./QUOTE]

I fully agree. Not only is it a good magazine, it is the ONLY magazine that consistently addresses the concerns of LF photographers. It's really unfortunate that we are forced to put up with mediocre subscription service.

Richard Kagan is an outstanding, if possibly not widely known, photographer in the Philadelphia area. I took a workshop with him many years ago on the Zone System. One of the things that I can hear him saying - 'Close enough is NOT good enough'.

I think that also applies to the processes used at View Camera Magazine.
    Louie

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The owner can be found on the Forums it just depends on what Name he's (Aliases) using at the time. It's a great shame he doesn't get his act together as it's a good magazine.

Ian
    If Mr. Simmons lurks here, he must be aware of the problems many of his current and former customers complain about in the forums. If someone knows of problems and has the power to fix them and does not, it implies to me that he does not care. Which is too bad. I peruse the magazine at the bookstore and buy it if it looks interesting. But with all of the complaints that I read about here, not to mention the terribly distracting text editing, I will not subscribe. With the demise of B&W, there is an obvious gap that could be filled by a high quality magazine aimed primarily at analog photography.

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Images
    Good Morning,

I have frequently bought View Camera over the course of a couple of decades. I very much appreciate the effort Mr. Simmons exerts in publishing the magazine. Although I recognize as valid some of the observations I read about errors and editing glitches in [I]View Camera[I], I have been glad to overlook those because the information in the magazine has been very useful to me. I know that I should have subscribed, but, for one reason or another, I just never got around to it. Several years ago, View Camera was involved in sponsoring a photo conference (Foto3, I think). I registered for that conference and sent payment. Shortly afterward and well before the conference, I learned of a schedule conflict which prevented me from attending. Naturally, I sent Mr. Simmons a refund request; actually, I think I sent three or four such requests. So far, Mr. Simmons has not deigned to reply, much less send a refund. Much as I appreciate View Camera, it is difficult to consider further dealings with Mr. Simmons.

Konical

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    APUG & Foto3 shouldn't be mentioned together . . . . . . . . . .

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I agree. VC is an awesome publication. I wish them success and much improved infrastructure.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan - I just saw your post about B&W - is this mag a goner? I seem to be getting my issues.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Collier View Post
    Dan - I just saw your post about B&W - is this mag a goner? I seem to be getting my issues.
    George: I apologize for my incomplete statement. I should have written, "the demise of B&W as a digital-free haven for analog photographers." As far as I know, it is still being published. Sorry for the confusion.
    Dan

web site: Dan Henderson, Photographer.com

blog: https://danhendersonphotographer.wordpress.com/

I am not anti-digital. I am pro-film.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    i agree with Peter here.
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    I would to add that the last few issues of VC have been of very high quality...not that many alternatives out there
    Best, Peter

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I also feel that it is shame to make public personal grievances that have incurred with mr. simmons
    we all have issues with all kinds of issues in this world....try fixing them not complaining about them
    it makes for a better world
    have a great day everyone!!
    Peter
    website down for maintenance!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Schrager View Post
    I also feel that it is shame to make public personal grievances that have incurred with mr. simmons
    we all have issues with all kinds of issues in this world....try fixing them not complaining about them
    it makes for a better world
    have a great day everyone!!
    Peter
    While I agree in principle there's also the adage that the customer is always right.

Coming from Europe I find these US proprietor owned magazines somewhat out on a limb at times. There's no checks & restraints on the editor, so you get situations like the OP's, and no commercial organisation would have such a poor client/reader database or customer service.

This really is a case of the owner of the magazine fixing his own systems, I've experienced it first hand and it's awful, and no matter how good his staff are (Andrea) if the systems flawed they have no chance. Ironically the poor IT is probably costing him far more in terms of extra work & much more importantly loss of revenue.

My experiences with View Camera have put me off subscribing to any privately owned US magazines, so Lens Works out as well, no-one edits Brook Jensens output. I don't want to buy a magazine based around one persons viewpoint.

Ian

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin