Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,546   Posts: 1,544,519   Online: 1088

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    My pleasure Umut. I think you're on to something good.

The past is the biggest thing we know, perhaps bigger than the Universe (or equal in size.... expansion theory anyone??) and therefore it's nearly impossible to know what effect it has on us, what influence we are victim to and what legacy we have been born from. To circumvent modern interpretations and go back to the source objects is probably the only way to understand our own history.

And you thought this was just a simple discussion about lenses!
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

I'd say the difference is contrasty sharpness versus smooth sharpness, Japanese lenses being crisp and contrasty-sharp, European lenses being smoother and less contrasty. As to color rendition, it's been so long since I've used color film intensively, I couldn't say.

I see a distinct difference between my Fuji 6x9's 90mm lens and my Hasselblad's 80mm lens. The Fuji lens produces crisp, sharp, contrasty images. The Hasselblad produces a smoother, less contrasty image. Under a 6X loupe, negatives from the Fuji look sharper. Hands down. Does that mean the 'Blad isn't as good? No. The detail is all there, it's just not as abruptly delineated as it is by the Fuji. I prefer the Hasselblad's tonal rendition, but I won't deny for a minute that the Fuji has a fabulous lens. It's nice to have a choice, nice to own both, each camera has its purpose.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format

Identical Shots?

Can someone post an identical shot with both German and Japanese lenses of equal focal length exposure etc?

I would love to see the difference for myself in a few photographs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I'll see if I can find a good comparison in my files and post it to the gallery. I don't have identical shots, but I do have similar shots taken with both German and Japanese lenses that should kinda show it (granted, scanned images...).
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by n0npr0phet View Post
    Can someone post an identical shot with both German and Japanese lenses of equal focal length exposure etc?

I would love to see the difference for myself in a few photographs.
    I'd really like to see this too. I wish I had a German lens!

Ideally a Nikon, Canon, Zeiss, & Leica lens of identical vintage, identical focal length and maximum aperture, and with the same subject and exposure settings.

A guy can dream I guess...

Looking forward to your shots Klainmeister
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

I think it's something you have to see in person. I know my scanner is not up to the task of making reasonable comparisons of minute details on film. Borrow a lens or two and try it is the best advice I can give. Same focal length, f/stop, film and processing will tell you right away when you compare with a loupe. How the comparison translates to a print probably is more important.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I never owned any Japanese lenses until I got into LF photography. Most of my current LF lenses are Fujinons. I have quite a few Topcors that are also excellent and not many people know about them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin