Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,313   Online: 763

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

First time 8x10 stress reduction thread

Although I'm not investing right away into LF gear (would need kit, enlarger, etc), I decided to give it a shot by renting an 8x10 Horseman for the Easter weekend. Clever me: I have the kit for the whole weekend for the price of a single rental. I also chose 8x10 because it's big and I will contact print, thus avoiding the need to find another enlarger.

I had the choice between three Symmar lenses: a 240mm/f5.6, a 300mm/f5.6, and a 360mm/f6.8. I went for the 300mm, being bright, a perfect normal for the format, thinking it would serve equally well for landscape and portraits.

Then for the film I mostly had the choice between Ilford and Ilford, so I thought I would go with HP5 for the speed, and limiting the risk of screwing up. With contact prints, grain does not exist.

I'm still dithering about developer, but I might go with HC-110. I can always buy Ilford stuff from the store. I have read that DD-X can be very nice with HP5, but would it make a difference in contact prints?

I already have a spot meter, will find something to make a dark cloth, and I have a small loupe I can use to check focus if needed. I'm reading again bits on focusing & all that stuff in the meantime to refresh my memory on the logic.

Now, can anybody just tell me to stop worrying about lens, film, and developer choice, just so I am not perpetually in a second-guessing mindset between now and Easter?
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Relax and enjoy.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good moves. Don't over think this. As guitstik says: relax and enjoy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Relax. In with the good air.....out with the bad. Its like 6x7 or 4x5....only Really BIG.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    A 300mm/5.6 is my standard 8x10 lens (a Fuji W)...I do landscapes. It should be fine for portraits...maybe a little on the short side for heads-and-shoulder, but still will do fine.

HP5 is great as is HC-110. Have a great time with it!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It's just a different sized camera. There are much more potentially stressful things.

Sounds like good choices so far.

Use a jacket for a darkcloth. You'll need film holders if they don't come with the rental. Make sure the film holders are clean and stay that way at all times. A cable release is highly useful too, and a solid tripod.

Shoot some and develop the same day/night. Then go back out for more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Feeling better already!

Yes, I have film holders with the camera, and I have a long cable release. With the camera I rented a Manfrotto 161 with a 160 head. It looks like a @#*$&@$% brute!
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing left to do is set the beasty up and get familiar with "her". Treat it like a woman and you'll have a great time making photographs. I talk to my camera(self) all the time, seems to help keep me from making too many mistakes.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sounds like a good choice, though just about any camera, lens and film will be fine. You issues are probably going to center around getting the whole scene in focus, making sure the lens is stopped down when you fire the shutter, avoiding camera movement during the exposure, forgetting to flip the darkslide, inserting the film in the holder wrong, giving enough exposure and getting even development of the negatives.

In a month you will be posting that you are looking for an 8x10 enlarger

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just take the ficking picture . . . get out of your head.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin