Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,970   Online: 872

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Polaroid chrome 4x5 color reversal question.

I recently inherited a large quantity of photographic equipment including film and stuff. One of the film stocks that I found in the lot is Polaroid Professional Chrome 4x5 Color Reversal Film 100D. I understand this is E-6 film but my biggest question is how to load it into the 545 holder. I have read the instructions that I found in the bunch but I guess that I am just to ignorant to make heads or tails of it.

I moved the lever over to "L" and inserted the envelope into the rollers but the next step according to the instructions is to "pull out the envelope as far as it will go", phat the wuck? Should the film holder be loaded in the camera before the envelope is pulled out? What keeps it from being exposed if not? How far should the envelope be pulled out? All the way out or is there a point that should not be passed?

I have about 20 sheets of this stuff and I would like to see what it will do and not waste any of it. All of the film has been in the freezer since new and I am thinking it should still be good with maybe some color shift. If it is bad because of storage, that's ok but I don't want to be the source of any problems.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I think that I just wasted a shot. I decided to try one but I pulled the envelope all the way out, bad idea. I couldn't get the envelope back in so I had to take the whole camera off the tripod and take it into the darkroom (ie. closet), oh well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Wow I've used that stuff a long time ago. If I remember correctly, you put the holder on "L" insert the film until it catches, gently pull the envelope until it stops. It shouldn't pull all the way out. Take the shot, push the envelope back in. Then push the release lever down, pinch the envelope and pull the envelop out. I think there are 2 sheets per envelope so shoot the other side. The envelopes are very much like Fuji Quickloads.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I didn't see where it said anything about having to shots per but that isn't saying much as I am rather slow.

What does pinching the envelope do? All the instructions said was to pull it out after and pull the tape off and fold at the line on the envelope. I hope that I can learn this before I go through all the film.
    Can you still get the Fuji quickloads?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Mainecoonmaniac View Post
    ...I think there are 2 sheets per envelope so shoot the other side. The envelopes are very much like Fuji Quickloads.
    Incorrect; each packet contains only one sheet. Film inside was the original Fujichrome 100 (RDP) purchased from Fuji as master rolls. It was then cut and packaged by Polaroid in the US. Resulting transparencies are, just like Type 55 negatives, larger than standard 4x5s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The pack had instructions to load one side towards the lens so I figured there was only one shot per.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think you're over thinking it. I have shot some of this stuff ( polaroid 100d and tungsten packets) recently and it was still in good shape though long expired. Careful with how far you pull the packet out prior to exposure as they are prone to light leaks.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

What pinching the envelope does

Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    What does pinching the envelope do?
    The pinching helps the film from sliding out of the envelope.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin