Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,522   Posts: 1,572,253   Online: 758

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    ulv

Shooter
    Medium Format

Prototype of the Polish 4x5 LF camera

Hi. You could see photos of the prototype of Polish large format field camera here.
    There quite big possibility that we will start production. Prototype has quite strange colors but final model will have more classic look (cherry wood and brass). Size of lens board and bellows is the same as in Linhof Technika 4x5. Matte screen is paired with. At this moment front standard could be tilted and tilted back, swing and rise. Back standard has only tilt, but final model will have also swing. Bed could be dropped. Bellows extension is over 30 centimeters.
    I want to hear what do You think this camera should have additionally. All suggestions are very important for us.

Price for final product will be estimated, but probably will be similar or even smaller than Chinese one.

Thanks
    Rafal

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Dear Rafal,

I look forward to seeing your project develop. Is the maximum extension actually 30 inches? I used Google translate so I am not sure.

Good luck,

Neal Wydra

ulv

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It is a little over 31 centimeters, so it is about 12.5 inches.

Thank You
    Rafal

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Rafal,

I sent you a PM with some information.

It's A Beautiful Camera !

Ron

Shooter
    Large Format
    The prototype you have shown looks promising.

The camera can be improved by choosing larger diameter knurled locking knobs. Most buyers prefer a ruled ground glass instead of a plain one.

They want to know the species of wood used in the construction of the camera as well as the metal used for the hardware.

Polished and lacquered metal parts make a wooden field camera especially desirable in the eyes of most buyers. Polished and lacquered brass fittings are especially desirable.

Likewise, the choice of red bellows is also appealing to many.

The camera will be more desirable if the bellows are attached in a way that makes removing and replacing them fast and easy.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hello,

Bubble levels would be a worthy addition.

Larry
    "A man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest"........Paul Simon

Shooter
    35mm
    I actually love the colors... red bellows are awesome and the white makes for a nice contrast. You may want to consider offering it in natural wood look but also painted black or white on request. Something unusual like that can actually be a good selling point. At least it would be for me.

I agree with Ian C that bigger locking knobs would be useful. The ones on your prototype look too small to operate reliably when you're under the dark cloth. Making the bellows detachable is a good idea too, though I have no idea how hard that is to realize or if there are any standards.

I don't know about bubble levels... of course they're useful, but do they fit with the style of the camera? You'd need to find something small and unobtrusive that fits with that old-fashioned style of the camera, not one of these massive neon-green things.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by moki View Post
    I don't know about bubble levels... of course they're useful, but do they fit with the style of the camera? You'd need to find something small and unobtrusive that fits with that old-fashioned style of the camera, not one of these massive neon-green things.
    I agree. I have the brass plate and spirit level glass tube from an old Rabone level which I intend to fit to a wooden camera one day.

I do like the white finish with the redd bellows.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Better fitting srews would be an improvement. The heads should be flush with the brass fittings

Ulrich

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Levels are a very practical addition and are not so unusual on cameras from the early 20th century.

Unless there is an option like a bag bellows, interchangeable bellows wouldn't be worth the extra cost. The bellows should last 10-15 years or more, and will probably have to be fabricated from scratch anyway, so a bellows with a frame at each end, screwed to the front and rear standards in the traditional way will be easy enough to deal with for such an infrequent repair.

It's hard to say what a traditional field camera can add to the existing market in terms of features. The likely attractions might be low cost at the entry level of the market or high craft at the opposite end.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin