Switch to English Language Passer en langue franÁaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,736   Posts: 1,515,515   Online: 1114

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Help to identify this lens barrel

I recently picked up a barrel lens Xenar 180mm that I plan to put in shutter. Before I dismantle it though, curiosity got the better of me and now I'm wondering what behemoth of a camera uses a mount like this. It's made out of solid iron or steel. As you can see, it has a square end to the mount. Any idea what this lens has been attached to? The serial number dates it to about 1960.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Xenar mount.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi shnitz

i can't suggest what kind of camera, but
    it looks to me to be what is sometimes called a "top hat lensboard"
    used because the camera didn't have enough bellows to use the lens.
    maybe the lens was used to do macro photography and this board allowed
    for 1:1 or larger reproduction.

have fun with your new lens !
    john
    if my apug gallery looks empty you might check these places

website
    blog
    sell-site

Shooter
    Large Format
    That is a long extended lens mount used to place the lens at the proper distance from the film to attain focus in a large commercial enlarger, or more likely, a lithographer’s process camera used in the steps to convert photographic images into lithography printing plates.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    OK, thanks a lot. It's so heavy, I thought it might be for some kind of enlarger rather than a camera, but I wasn't sure. I know that Xenar means that the lens was produced as a taking lens, so I assumed that if it was an enlarger, it would be a Componon lens. Is there any difference between them? For example, are there any drawbacks to using this Xenar as an enlarging lens, and would an enlarging lens like a Componon work fine if I somehow mounted it for photographic use?

Shooter
    Large Format
    The Schneider Xenar is a 4-element Tessar design camera lens. It isnít a good choice for enlarging as it isnít designed to produce a flat field of focus forward of the lens as an enlarger, process, or macro lens is.

I wonder if there are any other markings on the lens to possibly indicate that it was a variant designed for close-focusing flat-field copy work. The 4-element 50/4 and 75/4 EL Nikkors are examples of Tessar type enlarging lenses that work very well. So the idea that you might have a variant for flat-field close-up work is at least plausible, but I donít know.

A Schneider Componon is a 6-element double Gauss flat-field enlarging lens and that makes it a good process or macro lens as well.

All lenses must produce a flat field at the plane of the film, but only enlarger, process, and macro lenses are designed to produced a flat field forward of the lens. In contrast, most camera lenses produce a slightly curved field of focus (bellied out like the front glass) forward of the lens.

Process cameras were used in a variety of ways, not always in photographing strictly flat originals. In one of my reference books a large horizontal process camera is shown photographing a large 3-dimensional piece of artwork well forward of the camera. In such an application the lens neednít be the usual flat-field lens usually employed on a process camera.

We can only speculate on how the lens youíve shown was employed. The fact that itís mounted in a barrel, and not in a shutter, indicates that it was most likely used on a process camera or enlarger. The exposure was most often flash or tungsten photo-floodlights on a digital timer in a large darkroom. If the lens is a standard-design Xenar, then itís unlikely that it was used for enlarging.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  ó   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin