Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,848   Posts: 1,582,812   Online: 860

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

I "SHUTTER" to think... advice needed on Synchro-Compur & Copal-1

I've got a 180mm Symmar convertible in a synchro-compur shutter. When I bought it, it was very sticky and so I sent it to Paul Ebel. He CLA'd it and it was great for some time, but after several months it has gone sticky again.

When he CLA'd it, he said someone had used graphite to lube it and consequently gummed up the works. The fact that it has gone sticky again so quickly makes me think that all the graphite might not be gone.

Furthermore, I have a spare Copal-1 shutter. This too needs a CLA, but I have no reason to believe that it has gotten a 'graphite treatment' in its past.

So, my questions are (a), would my Symmar fit in the Copal-1? Schneider lists the shutter size as 'I+1'.

(B), which shutter has a better reputation of reliability, or does the graphite history make it a clear choice??

(C), both shutters have f/stop plates that can easily be removed with tiny screws & look to be the same size; do these scales generally transfer to other shutters w/o any fuss?

Thanks in advance,

C.H.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A complete cleaning should have eradicated the shutter of any future ills from nonsensical prior treatments like graphite or WD-40. Did you ask paul Ebel if he will re-clean the shutter under warrantee?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have not asked him but I'll have to give him a call.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Can someone decipher the shutter size 'I+1'? Is that the same as Copal-1, or something else?

As for the aperture plates, assuming they fit within the same range of movement, they should probably translate, but I'll have to check this of course.

Any functional difference in a Copal over a Synchro-Compur? Is one more finicky, temperamental, better, etc?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Copal #1 = Compur #1 as long as both are cock-and-shoot or both are press. Press shutters have the diaphragm located a little closer to the rear of the rear tube than do cock-and-shoot shutters of the same size (0, 1).

When in good order Copal and Compur shutters are functionally equivalent. I've seen posts to the effect that Copals aren't as long-lived and that Compurs need to be cleaned more often. Can't vouch for either assertion, do have some unrepairable Compurs.

Aperture scales probably won't transfer. And has already been pointed out, a properly cleaned (and lubricated and adjusted) Compur shouldn't give trouble for years after the CLA was done.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I don't believe my Compur is marked with anything saying #1, and so then can I assume that 'I+1' means 1? What does the "I" stand for? It's this nomenclature that's throwing me off...

The fact that I'm getting trouble from my Compur makes me wonder... I'll call the repair-tech but perhaps it just needs to be exercised and it will loosen up (though I don't have a good feeling about that).

thnx Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I recall reading the I+1 is Compur 1 sized shutter with an adapter for the lens elements.

p.s. a well CLA'd shutter does not need to be "exercized" to operate properly.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    p.s. a well CLA'd shutter does not need to be "exercized" to operate properly.
    = grimace

update: reading about synchro-compurs, I just learned that they have a self-timer... news to me!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin