Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,915   Posts: 1,556,316   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Camera for fuji pack film 3.25x4.25

I have been shooting polaroids with my 500cm for a short while now, but it has really led me into some very awesome projects. All of the projects are portraits and are mostly handheld. Now I want to move past the little tiny square inside of the negative and want to start using the whole negative. I will mostly be using a normal lens and would like it to be somewhat fast. ie 3.5 or close.

I have been looking into a few different cameras and have come across a few that I am interested in. I have been looking into a 4x5 speed/crown graphic, or a mamiya universal and polaroid 600se. They both have there plus sides, and negatives.

The speed/crown graphic would be very nice to use because of the variety of lens and will be easily be able to cover the negative. I could also use it for 4x5 if I feel the need. It also has a huge following and parts and accessories will be easy to come by.

The mamiya universal has a nice variety of lens and the ones that I would be using does cover it. I would be using the 127 but the problem there is it is a f4.7. I could always use the 100 f3.5 but I like a normal lens. It has lots of great accessories like the roll film backs and such.

The polaroid 600se is very close of being a great camera for me but I would like to have a faster lens then it can come with. 4.7 is just not fast enough for me.

What do you think would be the best camera for the job? any thoughts ideas? and If there are any other cameras that I should be looking at, just let me know.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    As a former owner of nearly all of those cameras, I would hands down say Mamiya Press system. In terms of handheld shooting, it puts the Crown to shame and the lenses are easy to focus, tack sharp, and best of all, fun to use. The 127mm is a great, great lens, so is the 100mm (both 3.5 and 2.8) and even the humble 90mm is surprising. if you can find the 50mm, my god is it good. The grip with cable release is easily had and makes the camera very easy to tote about.

Shooting polaroids is a blast with it and I'd set mine up with a 6x9 and 6x7 back on camping trips which produced some of my best images.

My $0.02
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for the input. Any body else have any thoughts. Klainmeister how hard is the graphic to shoot handheld?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Mini or full 4x5? I had a mini and it was "fun" kinda.... It just isn't all that great having to unfold out the bellows, composing, using the RF if it works, etc before taking a shot. With the Mamiya, the lens is there (no folding out or anything) and all you need to do is RF and cock the shutter. Done.

The 4x5 is like the mini only more obtuse. I'm thoroughly amazed that Press cameras such as those were used for so long and so succesfully, seeing as though the Mamiya or even the Graflex XL press cameras are sooo much easier to handhold and frankly aren't a breakthrough in camera technology.

Both will work. Both have great lenses, multiple backs, ect. Tough call.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I have not decided on a full 4x5 or a smaller one. I would like the 4x5 just to have the ability to shoot at that size. And I do see how a mamiya would be much faster to shoot, and easer.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well the Mamiya Press system sounds pretty nice overall. But what are the repair/parts options? That's a point I always like to question just in case. In 6x7 you have the RB with the rotating back and then the Koni Omega Press. Also the Graflex XL. The Graphic's of course will never die cause their just a box with a bellows but the process is slower with a handheld meter being used and a rangefinder for only one lens FL unless you go with the Super or Top Rangefinder option. Look at the weights and question whether it will be too much or ok. Here's a comparison site I found that was interesting: http://www.mir.com.my/michaeliu/mich...resscompo.html
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just to throw in my recent experience, I just got a Polaroid back/holder for the smaller pack film (3.25x4.25) for my 4x5 monorail camera. The film back was cheaper, and the smaller FP-100C is much more affordable for me the than the 4x5 version of the film.
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Just get a Polaroid camera. The 100 auto is good as is the 250 or the 360. All of the Fuji pack films will work in those camera and they can be had for less than any of the cameras you have listed.

I was on Beale Street a few weeks ago with my wife and my 100 auto and a cheap flash plugged into the camera PC slot and got some great night shots. I also received a lot of attention from people that remembered those cameras. A singer in one of the clubs saw me taking a picture with it and even called me into the club over the PA system just to see it up close.
    Thy heart -- thy heart! -- I wake and sigh,
    And sleep to dream till day
    Of the truth that gold can never buy
    Of the bawbles that it may.

www.silverhalidephotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by guitstik View Post
    Just get a Polaroid camera. The 100 auto is good as is the 250 or the 360. All of the Fuji pack films will work in those camera and they can be had for less than any of the cameras you have listed.
    +1
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Polaroid Land Camera Automatic 100 all the way!
    Harry Pulley - Visit the BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE FORUM

Happiness is...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin