Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,840   Online: 1026

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Tower Press Camera- rebadged Bush Pressman

The Canadian Press King is sort of similar to a B&J
    Real men use Speed Graphics and flashbulbs.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Wista had a 4x5 RF model with rotating back. Back tilt's. Cams for 120, 135, 150, and 180 lenses. Minimum bellows draw is 51mm, but it's a little short on the long end. Can take Linhof Tech boards and had a 5x7 back adapter available. 6.3 lbs. The cheaper VX model weighed 5.2 lbs but has a rotating Graflok back and back tilts. The mid model SP has micro focus back swings. 6.3 lbs.

All out of an old B&H catalog.
    W.A. Crider

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    How bout the Toyo 45A? Used that, the Super Speed, Speed Graphic and a Zone VI. The Zone is probably the best all around in terms of weight, abilities, and sheer beauty. The Toyo has the most technical controls and is heavier, and the Graphics were both the most rugged.
    K.S. Klain

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Most Press cameras are far too limiting to be used as a field camera, that really rules out Speed & Crown Graphics, Busch Pressman's etc, I have all three so it's first hand experience. Movements are sparse and that hampers creativity at times.

However technical cameras like the Linhofs and MPP Micro Technicals (based on the 1939 Linhof anyway) are very much more practical and offer virtually all the movements of a Field camera, Graflex eventually realized they could no longer compete and introduced the Super Graphics and Toyo later bought the tooling etc.

So if you have the cash a Linhof if the Rolls Royce of the Technical cameras followed by the later Toyo's 45A etc, but the Super Graphics and MPP Micr Technicals are just as capable.

Beware the MPP MicroPress is actually a Speed Graphic in an MPP body so has the same limitations as a Speed Graphic.

There's more MPP Micro Technicals around than Super Graphics in the UK, but few MPP's in the US as few were exported outside the British Commonwealth.

I use a Super Graphic now and it's as versatile as my Wista 45DX so I'd have no hesitation recommending one over a Speed/Crown Graphic or similar Press camera. Toyo, Wista and others made technical cameras as well all good.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 04-17-2011 at 01:00 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I got a 4"x5" Pacemaker Speed Graphic to use as a field camera that can also be used hand held. If I find that I need move movements later, I can buy a field camera and either keep or sell the Speed for more than I paid for it.

I also picked up a 4"x5" Graflex Model D because I always wanted one.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys, a lot of good additions.

I forgot to mention that price is a concern for me (cheap yo!). That being said, a Super Graphic is probably my best bet, or the Meridian 45B variety. But under $200 is good.

The Microtechnicals don't seem to show up in the US very often; I don't think there's a single one on eBay, past or present.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The MPP's are now fetching way over a $200 budget, more like $600-$700 probably more than they are worth compared to some other technical cameras.

I paid around $180 for my Super Graphic last November mainly to use in Turkey instead of my Crown graphic (for hand held work) and Wista, I was having to decide to take one or the other and compromising and two incompatible lens board systems didn't help either. Now with the Super Graphic I have all the flexibility of the Wista but can work hand held as well.

As you're a subscriber it might be worth placing a wanted advert here on APUG.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Ian, I think I shall. I've got an ad for trade with my monorail... but I know how those things usually go. (not so well)
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Just say no.

To all those other cameras and get a crown. After several thousand pictures you will really know what you want to try next and still be using the crown...... KFry

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kirkfry View Post
    To all those other cameras and get a crown. After several thousand pictures you will really know what you want to try next and still be using the crown...... KFry
    Not sure how you work that one out. Sure Crowns are fine for some uses but they have severe limitations, they are the most basic of all Press cameras. Th total lack of movements in portrait mode, and limited to tilt and very slight front rise & shift in landscape mode is not an problem for portraits, wide open spaces etc but useless for architecture/buildings more intimate landscapes, studio work etc.

A Crown or Speed Graphic is NOT a Jack of all trades 5x4 LF camera, monorails are the most versatile in terms of movements but field cameras have advantages of portability outside the studio for tripod work and usually plenty of movements, technical cameras combine the hand hold ability of press cameras with the flexibility of a field camera.

So for years and even today the Technical cameras are used and made to be the Jack of all trades 5x4 LF camera, and rightly so.

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin