Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,573,002   Online: 845

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Very nice but don't turn the burners on!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Excellent. The bellows look particularly good. How about making some more and documenting the process in pictures?

Similarly, my son sometimes makes things in class when he is bored. Last year he gave me a wallet which he had made out of black gaffer tape!

Steve.
    Last edited by Steve Smith; 04-18-2011 at 04:02 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

Shooter
    35mm
    Yep, homebuilt shutter testers do exist. Just google for "shutter speed tester" and you will find several instructions of varying difficulty and preciseness. I'm absolutely clueless about anything electronic, so I have no idea, what kind of batteries, resistor and photodiode will work together, even for this simple circuit... I guess, you'll figure it out without setting anything on fire

About the focussing mechanism... I thought about something like this: http://i239.photobucket.com/albums/f...mech_focus.jpg
    The red things could be either pieces of wood or very long screws. They're attached to the bottom board while the top only has holes and can move freely. It's all held in place by the blue rubber bands and a little friction. Now you can just insert the lensboard (drawn grey) between those four screws (be sure to make it fit tightly) and can move it left to right or up and down if you put a little stopper underneath it.
    That's probably a bit too much for your current materials... it's just the idea that came to me when I thought about your very simple mechanism. I think, that's actually the easiest way to have basic movements (except tilt) in a camera. I'll definitely try this some time soon.

North America just north of that sharp right turn North America makes on the Atlantic coast.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    That is really cool!
    "Would you like it if someone that painted in oils told you that you were not making portraits because you were using a camera?"
    "Shouldn't it be more about the joy of producing and viewing the photo than what you paid for the camera?"

Me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by George Nova Scotia View Post
    It's Canada, what else would he use!!!
    Moose dung? Fish paste? Frozen boogers?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    @Steve, yeah, one of these days I'll post an instructable on bellows. I think they're pretty easy to make. I've made lot of them, and in all shapes and sizes, tapered and square. I've even made ones that twist in a spiral!

@Moki, well, no fire so far! Yes, you're mechanism is very similar except for the two red pieces. I agree, it makes more sense to make those out of screws or something so the lens can move up and down. But with this camera, I'm sticking to the KISS principle, keep it simple stupid!

Here are some more pictures. As you can see, I've cut out the back of the camera. That way I can put in a "sudo" gg to focus. This gg is made from just cardboard and tracing paper (again, stuff from the graphics room). I can almost guarantee the gg is off by a good bit, but it's better than shooting blind! You'll also notice a different lens. I took this lens from our school 4x5, it's a 150mm computar symmetrigon. Not a great lens, but okay. I intend to use it until I build a shutter for the konica or until my graphics teacher notices the missing lens!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails _DSC0187.jpg   _DSC0189.jpg   _DSC0191.jpg   _DSC0192.jpg  

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by happyjam64 View Post
    yeah, one of these days I'll post an instructable on bellows. I think they're pretty easy to make. I've made lot of them, and in all shapes and sizes, tapered and square.
    I have made bellows myself but it's always interesting to see the way others do it.

Quote Originally Posted by happyjam64 View Post
    I've even made ones that twist in a spiral!
    On purpose?!!

A few years ago, I had plans for a shed roof based on two sides of a square bellows rotated 45 degrees.

Steve.
    "People who say things won't work are a dime a dozen. People who figure out how to make things work are worth a fortune" - Dave Rat.

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lovely job! Very straightforward, very resourceful. I am worried a bit about the Fuji box back, though: sure looks to me as though it's going to be a massive light leak around the end of the negative carrier. Perhaps some felt or soft foam might help. Surely there's something they use in hockey which would be perfect?

Mike
    Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another option for a shutter would be a Packard shutter - you can mount it inside the back of the front standard, and then use it with multiple lenses. They're pneumatic, controlled with a squeeze bulb on the end of a hose, and a small one would probably fit inside your camera. If not, you could front-mount the Packard on the lens. The default shutter speed is around 1/30th of a second (depends on the size), and then of course they'll stay open as long as you maintain air pressure inside the bulb.

Happy Valley - Goose Bay, Newfoundland and Labrador
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    that is pretty freaking cool!

sounds like a great project. i'd be interested to see some scans of the shots from it when it's done!
    threemilesfinal.com - An Aviation Industry and Aviation Photography Blog.
    Canon XSi for the Digital and a Lubitel 166B for the Analog. I'm a Medium Format and Film n00b!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin