Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,654   Online: 849

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Focusing cloth / dark cloth for 8x10?

Hi,

I have couple of dark cloths. They work well with smaller formats, but 8x10 is too big.
    My best dark cloth has kind a elastic neck that stays nicely on the camera back during focusing. No way to stretch that around the 8x10 back

Other, classic style clothes are all too small. So I am looking for some source for good dark cloth, preferably on EU area so that buying is easier.

(last option is ofcourse DIY, but I wouldn't do that)

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    easiest to make one from two pieces of drapery, or other dense fabric, one black and one white sewn together along the edges. You can get fancy and sew weights in the corners.
    Mine for 8x10 is 5x6 feet, for 7x17 5x8 feet.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Films NOT Dead - Just getting fixed![/FONT]

Shooter
    Large Format
    two black t-shirts, one inside the other. Wear it like a cowl. It fits my Calumet 8x10 without issue (the big side goes over the ground glass). But you don't want to make one yourself...

Oh, I have tried several $$ dark clothes. I still have them. This is better, cheaper, lighter and what I actually use.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Noel View Post
    easiest to make one from two pieces of drapery, or other dense fabric, one black and one white sewn together along the edges. You can get fancy and sew weights in the corners.
    Mine for 8x10 is 5x6 feet, for 7x17 5x8 feet.

Perhaps that is the way to go. 5x6 feet sounds quite big. My current dark clothes are around 3x3.5 feet.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    The Harrison dark cloth is the best I have ever used, Robert white stock it

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/

http://www.robertwhite.co.uk/product...Changing-Tents

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Have to get it in the US, but take a look at the BTZS focus hood at the View Camera store:

http://www.viewcamerastore.com/produ...products_id=44

Much lighter than the Harrison, which I started with and still use, occasionally. The BTZS allows you to stand back further without having the cloth sag down and obstruct your view of the ground glass and, while much lighter, is not a problem in the wind and blocks the light more effectively.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Black Dickies jacket. If it won't stay on the camera, tie the sleeves together. And you don't have to rifle around for it every time, because it is already on you. Mine is actually my Navy utility jacket, which is lined, but lightweight. You might be able to find one in a surplus store for cheap, since the Navy no longer uses those uniforms.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Another vote for wearing a couple of black tee shirts like a cowl. Try it, you'll like it.
    njb

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I tried T-shirts couple of years ago. Put black T-shirt inside of white. Even did a bit flexible 'neck' so it was easy to attach to camera.
    The problem was.. The weight of that double T-shirt dark cloth was more than my ordinary dark clothes and it took more space. So soon I abandoned.

The good thing was that you could use arm sleeves for holding loupe etc without allow any light come to ground glass.

Quote Originally Posted by Usagi View Post
    Hi,

I have couple of dark cloths. They work well with smaller formats, but 8x10 is too big.
    My best dark cloth has kind a elastic neck that stays nicely on the camera back during focusing. No way to stretch that around the 8x10 back

Other, classic style clothes are all too small. So I am looking for some source for good dark cloth, preferably on EU area so that buying is easier.

(last option is ofcourse DIY, but I wouldn't do that)
    This is a job for young daughters who are learning to sew!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin