Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,693   Posts: 1,482,419   Online: 707

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

A Non-QR Tripod Hunt

I'm trying to research tripods to buy used, but EVERYTHING seems to have a quick release, when all I want for my 4x5 monorail is a 3-way head that has no quick release, just a simple screw. I'm already spending a few minutes setting up the camera, so what's an extra ten seconds to me? I always lose QR plates and hate attaching them to smaller cameras. I know these heads exist too, because I saw a Bogen this weekend that doesn't use a quick release. Can anyone recommend a 3-way head that has no QR plate? It has to support about 5-7 lbs, and right now I'm looking at Bogen or Gitzo. I hear good things about Tiltalls, but they seem to be impossible to find.

(I am asking this question at the LF.info forum, but I figured I can ask for more opinions here, too. Sorry if you're also on LF.info and are seeing me ask the same question twice. I figure the more answers I get the better.)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'd just weld a QR plate onto your head if you really don't want one. It will open up far more possibilities for tripod heads than if you were to purchase a non-QR one.

I have an old Bogen 3047 head from a tripod that was destroyed in an accident. It is kind of grungy. It would be a perfect candidate for welding. I kept it for ladder mounting, but if you want it, I'd sell it for $20 plus shipping.

However, I honestly don't think it makes much sense especially with a 4x5 camera. You can just leave the QR plate permanently attached.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, I was thinking about that, and then there would be no way to actually attach the camera to the tripod, other than picking up the tripod and trying to spin it, or rotating the camera onto the screw. (I'd also like to be able to use it on my Hasselblad or similar, in case I want to use it alongside my 4x5) The Bogen I saw (he says it was a 3011) had a nice knob under the head where you could twist the screw to tighten it and still aim the camera the correct way.

(Note I may be completely misunderstanding how most good tripods are assembled, since I've only used a Slik U9000 until now.)
    "When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - HST
    My Flickr Gallery

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can definiteley reach under and grab the screw on a Bogen tripod with a hex plate (or the big 4x4 square plate, which I use for view cameras). There is room to reach in, and the screw and lock nut are nice and big. Not so sure about other brands, but probably, if they don't use those small screws with the folding handles.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Freestyle sells the newest version of Tiltall tripods. These are the old fashioned bolt the tripod to the camera without QR. They are sturdy enough to hold a 4x5 quite well, or a MF camera with overkill. You can even convert them to monopod by removing one leg and attaching the head.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    35mm
    Tripod or head? Assuming you mean head, I use a vintage Bogen 3028 with my 4x5 field camera, though something like that not work as well with a monorail. Slik makes a 3-way head that supports up to 22 lbs (10 Kg). At a higher price point, Gitzo and Davis & Sanford also make non-QR three-way pan heads.

Steve

tih
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Are you sure you even want a head? If you're going to use it for large format monorail only, an option would be something like this Berlebach tripod:

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=det...prache=english

Adjust the ball to level the panoramic plate, then mount the camera using the knob underneath the ball to tighten the screw. The camera is kept level during panning. For those occasions when you need to tilt the whole camera, the ball lets you tilt up to 30 degrees in any direction.

Caveat: I haven't used this tripod yet, I've only just ordered it. It's going to carry my Linhof Color monorail 4x5. I figure the simplified construction, relative to a full three-way head, will mean better stability and less vibration.

-tih

Shooter
    Large Format
    You want a Tiltall. They come up frequently on LFphot.
    "There are a great many things I am in doubt about at the moment, and I should consider myself favoured if you would kindly enlighten me. Signed, Doubtful, off to Canada." (BJP 1914).

Regards
    Bill

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have several tripods, but almost always use a Tiltall. There are several for sale now on ebay. They often sell there for $60 - $100.

Shooter
    35mm
    Note that the current version Tiltal is only rated to 13 lbs. This may or may not be a problem depending on how you intend to use the tripod.

Steve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin