Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 68,699   Posts: 1,482,578   Online: 867

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If you are looking for wood field cameras, there are many past and present. My favorite is Lotus cameras from Austria but they use Derlin on the knobs. There are many many current companies that make wood field cameras such as Tachihara, Shen Hao, Ebony, Chamonix, and Wista. Also, there are many older cameras that work great, I mainly use a 5X7 Conley that was made in 1910 and it still works great 100 years later! Check out places like Badger Graphic Sales as they stock many different brands of wood field cameras and they show most of them on their website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm curious what your philosophy is regarding this? Why brass but not aluminium? Also, there is typically a small amount of lead added to brass to help its machinability - not sure if this would be an issure for you.
    "There is no such thing as objective reality in a photograph"

My flickr and (gasp!) dpug photos - take a look if you like.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think for currently active makers you'll be looking at some of the very small shops in southeast Asia.

You see them on eBay occassionally.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This seems very pointless. Aluminium and plastic is not going to do you any harm.

Tom

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Kershaw
    This seems very pointless. Aluminium and plastic is not going to do you any harm.

Tom
    The majority of the world thinks film is useless.

But here we are.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Strange conversations popping up on APUG.

Define natural. Ever seen steel in it's natural state? Wait, steel is an alloy. Ever seen iron in its natural state? It's a rock. Ever seen silver in its natural state? Its in a rock. Ever seen copper in its natural state? Its a rock too. Ever seen a camera bellows made with untanned leather? I didn't think so. Wanna know how you tan leather? I didn't think so. Ever seen how tung oil is made? Wanna? I didn't think so either.

I suspect the OP wants to minimize his impact upon the land. Good for you. Buy a used 50 year old camera and live with the fact that its impact was made two generations ago and you won't be adding to your generations. I suggest a Deardorf. Wait, I always suggest a Deardorf.

And no, you can't get Alzheimers from aluminum.

Maybe this needs to be moved to the Soap Box?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Falkland Islands: not any more now I'm in Lincolnshire UK
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Human beings are natural so if we make something it is natural. I am currently building a metal working lathe using aluminium. I am recycling old engines and wheels by melting them down and making castings, that's not too bad is it? I am considering a cast aluminium camera if I can manage to make castings with sufficient accuracy.

bryanphoto
    Certainly, it is not possible (well maybe it is, but a very primitive one) to make a camera that is constructed of materials in the native natural state. What I am looking for, as has been mentioned above, is simply to minimize impact (and buying used is one way to do that). As far as referring to certain metals as more natural than others, I am considering the impacts of the mining and manufacturing, historical use and biological roles in life.

Simple iron alloys and copper alloys have been used for centuries and can be made very simply, and are for the most part fairly safe. Yes, I am sure that their manufacture is not totally harmless, but probably far less so than aluminum -- one reason being that these materials are available (as far as I know) in their usable (or usable with primitive processing) state, whereas aluminum does not occur in its free metallic state, but must be processed (in a dirty and toxic way) out of bauxite (or other similar rocks). Aluminum also plays no biological role in life and can accumulate in the body -- therefore it does most likely have harmful effects (whatever they may be) in lower doses than some other metals. I do not know everything about the mining and processing of metals, but am simply going on what I do know.

Leather can be tanned in quite natural and nontoxic ways with traditional methods, and there are still tanneries that practice vegetable tanning (and recycling and purification of byproduct). I realize that anytime you use any resources, you are having some impact. I am just curious what cameras might be available with some of the more natural and traditional materials.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If it is made... look for it at Trader Joe's.
    When you find your natural camera are you going to have it shipped by FedEx, or Pony Express???
    Sorry if I sound like a smart ass... but I really don't see the point in stirring up nutty conversations and debates about stuff like this, especially if your are going to feed it silver halide films.

Regarding electric cars+++ The Nissan Leaf is just a coal burning locomotive in my eyes. Or a nuclear powered vehicle.... I know you can hook it to a wind turbine or solar cel.. but the manufacturing of these is less than responsible even if the energy derived seems to be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wildbill View Post
    Brass is natural?
    So is a pencil and paper?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin