Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,689   Posts: 1,548,798   Online: 1178

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    bryanphoto

Cameras of natural materials?

Can anyone point me to some currently active makers of large format cameras made with natural materials? I notice that quite a few of the makers use different synthetic polymers and coatings. I am particularly interested in makers using wood, leather and brass. I would consider other natural materials, but am trying also to avoid aluminum. Thank you.

You probably can find a lightly-used Wisner in good condition if you shop around. Leather bellows, brass, wood, glass. Most manufacturers use synthetic bellows these days.

Peter Gomena

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Brass is natural?
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

bryanphoto
    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, has a very long history of use, and is one of the more useful and safe metals that is commonly used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    But brass is not 'natural'. Most metals used in products are alloys of one sort or another.

Or are you looking for a wooden camera with goathide bellows and hardware made by pounding a meteorite with stone tools?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    A deardorff should fit your needs, depending on the bellows type, alternatively the ebony is made of titanium, ebony wood and leather bellows so that should also fit the bill .

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bryanphoto View Post
    Brass is an alloy of copper and zinc, has a very long history of use, and is one of the more useful and safe metals that is commonly used.
    Sure, but it's still not natural. In fact, I'd think it unlikely you'd get any cameras with metal bits that weren't some sort of alloy. And aluminum should be okay as long as you're not cooking a tomato on it.

sly
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Something completely different

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Have you thought of using a Gandolfi - Mahogany Wood, leather bellows and Brass metalwork - http://www.gandolficameras.com/

Some of the original cameras are still going strong after more than 100 years

Martin

bryanphoto
    Those ceramic cameras are very interesting. Thanks for all of the suggestions. I do like the look of the Ebony cameras.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin