Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,983   Posts: 1,523,905   Online: 1044

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Goerz Dagor info

Hello All,
    I was wondering if anyone knew a fair price for the lens I am selling in the classified section. If you could please take a look. It is a Goerz Dagor 21cm f/6.8
    I just got a crazy offer over on LF Forum and I don't want to rip him off but hard to say no to $$
    Thanks for the help.
    Arthur
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...lf-lenses.html

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If it's in good optical condition then the Dagor is worth a bit, how much is rather variable as some people are prepared to pay silly prices.

Others think Dagor's are over-hyped but the reality is they are good performers for their age, generally regarded as the best availably pre-WWII, easily out performing Zeiss Tessar's, the companies main selling lenses. Coated & post WWII Dagor's are genenerally the most desirable.

A 210mm Dagor has excellent coverage, 12"x10" at f45 although that drops at wider apertures. The Zeiss made Dagor's are rarer,they seem to have used the Goerz design somewhat grudgingly that may increase it's value.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The only thing I can add is those old Compur shutters are easy to repair. Most likely worth it to the prospective buyer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    FM2N, why do you think that your Dagor's cells are unequal? I ask because Dagors are usually symmetrical.

As for the high offer, you have two choices. Take the money and run. Or, put the lens up on eBay and take what it fetches. You might want to check completed sales of Dagors on eBay.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    They are not unequal. But when removing just the back cell you get a different focal length lens.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by FM2N View Post
    They are not unequal. But when removing just the back cell you get a different focal length lens.
    Then they are unequal. How did you measure?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Then they are unequal. How did you measure?
    Confused me too, but FM2N did say what he did in the ad, but I think just misinterpreted the result:

"rear glass off 17inch focus front glass off 20inch focus"

That is more or less what I would expect the bellows draw to be in those cases. If you switched the cells, you should get the same result (front in back/ back in front). The single cell on the rear of the shutter (or barrel) needs more bellows than when placed in front.

I always assumed that was why early Turner-Reich cells were listed as longer than their actual focal length. Cirkut shooters find out quickly that the TR 18" cell was closer to an actual 16 1/2" focal length.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks for all the help. Lens sold for a lot more than I would have ever guessed. Over 10 times what the first offer was.
    Arthur

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin