Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,530   Posts: 1,572,464   Online: 1051

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    35mm
    Good, expensive dry bags are indeed as dry as the name suggests. I once was on a raft and kayak tour in scandinavia. We had everthing in those bags (food, foto equipment, clothes, etc.) and there wasn't a single drop of moisture inside, though there was a lot of water and one actually fell into the river. The nice thing about those was, that there was still enough air inside to keep them afloat, even with heavy stuff inside. With such expensive equipment, I'd put some silica inside, just to be safe and bind any moisture from the air.
    Pelikan cases are good too (some of those are designed to withstand explosives and tsunamis!), but I think, the bags are more practical and probably a lot cheaper.

...but I still think, it's crazy to carry LF gear on such a tour. I'd choose something lighter and faster. At least carry one 35mm or small medium format camera, just in case you want to take photos from the boat.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I kayak in a folding kayak with MF cameras in a dry bag. When I used a hardshell kayak I kept a Pelican box on deck or floating on a tow line. Note that the tow line arrangement can be dangerous in a rough surf landing. I can't imagine it would be fun, or that the reward ratio would be high enough to take my 5x7 gear. I suppose the upside is I could just throw a tarp over the tripod I use for 5x7 and skip bringing a tent. Also consider the joys of changing sheet film in a changing bag while being drilled by black flies and midges... You can't swat them......

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I use one of these for kayaking with MF and 35mm gear. Cheap (but heavy) and totally waterproof. I can fit it in a rear hatch but it's usually lashed between my knees so I can access the camera while paddling. Just be sure to use a leash. It will sink like a stone.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I whitewater in an Inflatable kayak and I've had good luck double bagging my 35mm in ziplocks and putting it my my drybag. I've noticed that there are ziplocks big enough for a LF but haven't yet tried that one. Just a thought.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've never heard of a 'dry bag'. Can anyone tell me the name of a good brand?

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't kayak but I canoe in Northern Ontario. I use a Lowenpro Dryzone 200 for my LF gear. I've been caught out on the lake in the rain and never had my gear get wet. I only carry my Toyo 45A, 2 lenses and minimal related gear on the lake. I've got a second one I bought for my MF gear a few years ago and never used. I've never thought about before, but I could be tempted to part with it.
    http://products.lowepro.com/product/...00,1935,18.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ortlieb make a range of them. Including saddlebags for motorcycles based on the "drybag" idea. If you google drybag you're going to find quite a selection.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I'll look into google.

Shooter
    Medium Format

My dry bag of choice

Quote Originally Posted by jon.oman View Post
    I've never heard of a 'dry bag'. Can anyone tell me the name of a good brand?
    I use these:

http://cascadedesigns.com/sealline/d...ry-bag/product

Both canoe expedition and lashed to the back of my motorcycle when on tour. I haven't tried large format yet, since I just got my first 4x5 camera but it's kept clothes, food, 35mm, MF and digital dry. Only thing is if you get rain in them, everything STAYS damp! And they are tough as boiled owl.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin