Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,545   Posts: 1,572,836   Online: 1027

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Images

Kayaking and Cameras

No longer workin on boats so I might just be able to get away from work this summer to get some R&R in. We have 4 tandem (2 were free and just need patching) and 2 single sit on top kayaks.

Anyone kayak with their LF gear?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sorry, I canoe rather than kayak especially so I can take a pelican case or two of photo gear.

I was thinking if it were possible to attach to a kayak, one could build a little sidecar/outrigger for gear. It would be more difficult to paddle then though. A better option would be to pare down and only take a speed/crown with a grafmatic or something compact like that in a small case on your kayak.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    I wouldn't see a problem on the tandem as long as you have good, reliable dry bags. For the sit-on-top, you could secure a Pelican case to the back pretty easily. I've only put my camera gear in the boat a couple of times and it was fine. The space required would be a problem, though, if you are planning to camp in it.

Images
    Just a thought thing right now. What about towing something like one of those ride on tubes that get towed behind power boats with the stuff in it in dry bags or a pelican case. Is that plausible? I have only messed around on Kayaks. never seriously paddled anywhere. Yes I will do plenty of practice before going anywhere with my precious (insert golum voice)
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Stability and the safety could be an issue , If you capsize the boat , may be you will adventure hard times to recover.

I think small dinghy and a engine can make you ready to fit for composition.

You can even make 1 , 2 or 3 sheets dinghy at home. There are excellent free plans at wooden boat forums .

Only you have to do is to find cheapest grade plywood painted with enamel paint. You can try also glass fiber 1 kilogram per square meters and two liters of polyester. It stinks too heavily and it is difficult to protect the wet fiberglass from bugs but if you wait 2 days , you can build very strong boat.

You can try also skin on frame.

Sunfish is a good design and with a tent on it and a keel under it.

I dont advise you to carry heavy and expensive gear on kayaks.

Umut

Images
    Already have a boat. Paddling will get me exercise and places the boat wont go. You would think a boat shop owner would know better and avoid boat ownership, but in my defense it was inherited from the same limey that we inherited the boat shop from.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Mark ,

I understand you. Rowing is an excellent sport for health. I am dreaming to do the same at a lake in istanbul. There are few sports clubs at this lake and it is not clean as you want to exercise for health concerns. Erden Eruc , an Turkish rower crossed the Atlantic , England to US and rowed from California to Australia in 330 days - longest spent time in a row boat - and crossed from Australia to Africa , all alone.
    Find his dispatches and he crossed the US and Australia with bicycle. From Alaska to California with bicycle.
    And he climbs every highest peak in his way.
    He will cross the south atlantic from africa to south america in next few months
    I think best way is to buy a rowing machine to home.

You will like him.

Best wishes ,

Umut

KEK

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've been kayaking for years with my 6 x 6 and have thought of but haven't done anything about LF. I have field cameras and i think they would be difficult to use on the water. Maybe a rangefinder LF camera would do the trick.

Images
    No where near as crazy as the guy you are talking about. I just want to have some fun.

Are dry bags really as dry as they say they are?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think MurrayMinchin here on APUG. I think he has done a lot of this.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin