Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,965   Posts: 1,558,402   Online: 820

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Images
    Color 5x7 has not been readily available for years. When got my 5x7 9 years ago there were maybe two color emulsions available in slide film and maybe that number in negative. Think about how many 4x5 emulsions have come and gone since then. It was never a standard format for color shooters. I believe the publishing industry dictated the 8x10 and 4x5 standard. you don't go into 5x7 to easily shoot color. Even then you had to work at it because the cost was insane.

Back when we were a two income family and there was a bit of extra cash I worked with one of the die cut manufacturers to create a die to cut 2 5x7 sheets from 8x10. It would cut and notch five sheets of 8x10 with interleaf paper. Total cost was going to be 50 dollars US. We went to one income and all extra money went away so the project disappeared. Since I am a teacher I just called the company that made the dies we had in our workroom and they were the ones I worked with.

I did all that about 7 years ago. Buying and cutting 8x10 would have cut the cost of the film in half and the die would have paid for itself after the first box of film.

Where there is a will there is a way. In this day and age when emulsions are disappearing right and left you either accept it and do what you must to shoot the film you want to shoot or you pick up a digital camera and shoot that because it is easy. I am plenty happy with the selection of 5x7 black and white on the market.

5x7 is not dead it is what has been for a very very long time, a niche market within a niche market. If that Deardorff is cheap and you don't want it point the seller my way. Seriously.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    Cutting down film is easy if you are reasonably careful as frotog says.

I cut 16x20 down to 8x20 on my C&H mat cutter.
    Never a problem.

A simple jig made from matboard and a dime-store paper punch makes film notching easy.
    Never a problem.

Turning down a Deardorff ???
    Now thaaaat's a problem...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    +1

you might also call freestyle to see if they have expired film
    i got a boatload of expired 5x7 color film from them ...
    MY only problem is there is no one left to process it
    the only pro-lab that still had a sheet film line stopped ...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Far from dead. It is a good alternative to 8x10 for many people. 5x7 enlargers are on e-bay all the time.

Goose Nest (near Martinsburg), West Virginia
    Shooter
    Medium Format

5x7 B&W emulsions

Quote Originally Posted by brucemuir View Post
    What b/w emulsions are currently available in 5x7?
    I'm keeping a little spreadsheet of available films, and although I haven't checked out availability lately, this is what I had listed to be available in 5x7:

Adox CHS 25 Art
    Adox ORT 25 Orthochromatic
    Arista EDU Ultra B&W 100
    Arista EDU Ultra B&W 400
    Efke PL 100 M
    Efke PL 25 M
    Efke PL 25 ORT Orthochromatic
    Efke PL 50 M
    Foma Fomapan 100
    Foma Fomapan 200
    Foma Fomapan 400
    Ilford FP4+
    Ilford HP5+
    Kodak Tri-X Pan

(This may be a bit misleading, as I've heard the Arista line is rebranded Fomapan and/or Ilford.)

--John

Shooter
    Large Format
    Colour 5x7 is not actually dead, just hiding...

portra 160 is available (at a price)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...50_Sheets.html

Provia 100F
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...products_id=46

Velvia 100
    http://www.japanexposures.com/shop/p...products_id=45

Shooter
    35mm
    I edited the thread title to more accurately reflect the discussion. I wouldn't want anyone to think that 5x7 was no longer available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Add to it (called piling on here in the states)... 5x7 isn't dead. Nowhere close. And if the world turned upside down and they stopped making 5x7 film, there is always the metric equivalent (13x18). Film holders are fairly easy to get and film in Europe is still plentiful.

It is a matter of preference. If you only shoot color, then don't buy the camera. A 4x5 back on it still puts a too large camera in your kit.

But passing on a Deardorff? Hard to imagine.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks for the link to Japan Exposures, though not exactly giving it away, solves that problem . and as I have just been offered a 5X7 Gandolfi the only decision now is should I go with the Deardorff of the Gandolfi

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Justin Cormack View Post
    Colour 5x7 is not actually dead, just hiding...

portra 160 is available (at a price)
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...50_Sheets.html
    Problem with the Porta is that B&H lists it as discontinued by the manufacturer.
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Try buying color film for a whole-plate camera!

If I used a lot of color film I would have thought twice about owning the old beast, but, thanks to Ilford, I have a choice of two b&w emulsions. I leave color for the smaller formats and that little electronic thing I own.

Peter Gomena

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin