Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,260   Online: 815

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by michaelbsc View Post
    Problem with the Porta is that B&H lists it as discontinued by the manufacturer.
    5x7 Portra 160NC was discontinued, as was all Portra 160NC and VC. It's being replaced by the new Portra, even in 5x7:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...tra_Color.html

Just not in stock yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Still not in stock, but expected in 1 - 2 weeks. I just received an email message from B&H pointing out that one can now place an order at that link, to be filled as soon as the product reaches them from Kodak.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Just got my order in, thanks for the advice

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    Thanks for the link to Japan Exposures, though not exactly giving it away, solves that problem . and as I have just been offered a 5X7 Gandolfi the only decision now is should I go with the Deardorff of the Gandolfi
    If the Gandolfi is a Variant or a Traditional, there is no contest: Get the Gandolfi. If it's a Universal, the two are about equal so get the cheaper one.

And also get a couple of 13x18cm holders: colour film is readily available in Europe, in 13x18cm size which won't quite fit in a 5x7" holder.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For a while, 160NC was the only available color negative film. Then Kodak started requiring a minimum order of 30 boxes of 50 sheets each (about an $8,000 minimum order for 1,500 sheets). Then all 160NC was discontinued entirely. Then the new Portra 160 came out, and the price for a box or 5x7 went up about 25 percent ($65). So, it's yours at almost $6.50 per sheet to purchase (plus $5 per sheet to have processed) as soon as Kodak finally releases it.

Plus Fuji still makes their transparency films in 5x7 TMK. But they are limiting in many ways compared to negative film. They must be scanned or used to make expensive Ilfochromes, plus their ability to record wide ranges of brightness is nowhere near as strong.
    Last edited by 2F/2F; 05-08-2011 at 03:13 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    ...Then the new Portra 160 came out...yours at almost $6.50 per sheet to purchase (plus $5 per sheet to have processed)...Fuji still makes their transparency films in 5x7...
    Like the Provia 5x7 linked to at Japan Exposures, which costs more than $9 per sheet, also plus processing. And, if Badger's recent note on the 5x7 Provia page was correct, Fuji won't be making any more 5x7 film ("Last run with Fuji"), so Dirk's probably offering what remains in the retail pipeline local to him.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sal Santamaura View Post
    Like the Provia 5x7 linked to at Japan Exposures, which costs more than $9 per sheet, also plus processing. And, if Badger's recent note on the 5x7 Provia page was correct, Fuji won't be making any more 5x7 film ("Last run with Fuji"), so Dirk's probably offering what remains in the retail pipeline local to him.
    That is really too bad. Hopefully 8x10 remains, so we can slice it down if we want. I've never tried it, but I guess it will soon be one of the only options.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin