Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,879   Posts: 1,520,369   Online: 1148

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    8x10 Format

Death of color 5x7?

I was just about to get hold of a 5x7 deardorff but have hit upon a not inconsiderable snag, It seems that it is going to be impossible to get hold of 5x7 colour film, So the question is shall I just accept the fact that the format is dead, if I have to cut film down I might as well stick with 8X10 and learn to live with 4x5 as the lighter portable alternative

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford View Post
    It is going to be impossible to get hold of 5x7 colour film,

Shall I just accept the fact that the format is dead?

I might as well stick with 8X10 and learn to live with 4x5 as the lighter portable alternative.
    You've answered your own question, stick with 4x5 and 8x10.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Probably is much harder to use in color. B&W film is easily available. If you could find some color for sale the option would be to buy a very large supply. But then you have aging problems and the very high upfront costs. If you are doing large prints you will see a difference compared to a cropped 4x5. But your cropped 8x10 will be better. And adding yet another camera choice can complicate things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by aluncrockford
    I was just about to get hold of a 5x7 deardorff but have hit upon a not inconsiderable snag, It seems that it is going to be impossible to get hold of 5x7 colour film, So the question is shall I just accept the fact that the format is dead, if I have to cut film down I might as well stick with 8X10 and learn to live with 4x5 as the lighter portable alternative
    Yeah.

Sniff
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If its a current emulsion, film manufacturers will cut it if you can meet their minimum order size. No one individual is going to be able to do that, but I'd buy 100 sheets or more of Velvia 50 or 100 or Kodak E100G on a group buy if someone put together an order.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What b/w emulsions are currently available in 5x7?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keith Canham has been unable to put together a group purchase for TMY2 for the past several months. That's about as standard an emulsion as you can get.

Some of Ilford emulsions are still manufactured AFAIK. And Efke has a film available.

I agree that color emulsions would be good, but I think the hurdle to get them is high.

MB
    Michael Batchelor
    Industrial Informatics, Inc.
    www.industrialinformatics.com

The camera catches light. The photographer catches life.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Cutting down from 8x10 produces very little scrap. You can get either a Yale stack cutter or a chinese knock-off and cut a 10 sheet box of 8x10 with the top and bottom card stock packaging protecting the surface of the top and bottom sheet of film. Three cuts and you're done. Alternatively, you can cut one sheet at a time with a rotatrim (emulsion side down) but then you're more prone to problems. I know 5x7 photographers who notch their cut film with a hole punch but I personally never found this necessary. Just make sure to tell your lab which way the emulsion lies in your download box as it makes a difference with c-41 processing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Cutting down film is easy if you are reasonably careful as frotog says.

I cut 16x20 down to 8x20 on my C&H mat cutter.
    Never a problem.

A simple jig made from matboard and a dime-store paper punch makes film notching easy.
    Never a problem.

Turning down a Deardorff ???
    Now thaaaat's a problem...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    There are many BW films available including several by Foma, Efke and Ilford. I recently purchased Delta 100, 100 sheet boxes for $125 per box from Badger Graphic Sales. They are taking orders but the price has gone up to $145 for 100 sheets I believe. Ilford also has FP4+ as a standard offering in 5X7. Until recently, Kodak kept is as a standard but is now a special order. I use 5X7 as my standard format and find no problem in locating film, however I only shoot BW. Freestyle keeps a good supply on hand.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin