Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,472   Posts: 1,570,961   Online: 768

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Copal No.3 - with lens?

This is a newbie question, and since I know little about LF, I hope someone can clear this out for me.

I found in the studio (on the loft) a box with a large format lens, but is it a fully working lens, or only the shutter? It is a Copal No.3, and it has a rear glass element which can be unscrewed. I put a white paper behind and it sure makes a picture, it seems to cover 8x10, but I can not really tell.

I'll post some photos of it here, and hopefully someone can tell me if I can go ahead and buy a 8x10 camera and start learning

Thanks in advance,

Marius

more photos:

http://mariushauge.no/copal/copal_no31.jpg
    http://mariushauge.no/copal/copal_no32.jpg
    http://mariushauge.no/copal/copal_no33.jpg
    http://mariushauge.no/copal/copal_no34.jpg
    http://mariushauge.no/copal/copal_no35.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Imagon... is that the only perforated disk you have found?

It's a soft focus lens, I think they still make them. This one looks pretty new.

Are you selling? Google Imagon and you will learn more.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Soft focus, alright. It is the only disc, yes. Can the lens be used without this? As you can see from the other photos (link), it can be removed. I have no plans to sell this, no..

edit: there is no glass in front of the shutter, only behind.

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The Imagon only has glass behind the shutter, so it's exactly as it should be.

Without the disc the image is very soft, with the disc slightly less so. There are several different discs giving different softness sold with these lenses, which is why everyone wants to know if you have the full set or not.
    -- Ole Tjugen, Luddite Elitist
    Norway

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice find!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you all for the information! I've googled it, and understand a little more now. What I don't get is how to measure exposure without an aperture indicator. The aperture works, as seen on this picture:

I guess I'll have to learn more about LF-photography. I went to one workshop once, together with Ole Tjugen over here actually, husker du, Oslo ca. 2004/2005? He was already experienced, I remember beautiful slides from the west coast. There was something about measuring light right at the back, where the filmplane is?

Anyway, I'm going to NYC in a week, and have checked out B&H and Adorama for used cameras. Maybe I'll bring the lens and find a camera? Before that, I'll read more on largeformatphotography.info and apug

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    The disks ARE the F stops.. I think you have the f 6.? There are an f8, and f11 possibly 16...

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hallo Marius - joda, jeg husker!

Any camera which takes Technika boards can take that lens and board, except if the front standard is so thick it interferes with the shutter.

For cameras which use larger lens boards there is usually a Technika adapter available, too. But on the other hand, putting the lens on a different board is very easy. All you need is a board with a hole the right size, and the Copal 3 is a standard size.
    Norway

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yes, the discs are f-stops, obviously, the H-numbers (H=7.7&9.5) can be transferred to f-numbers. I found a link to a thread here on apug about it http://www.apug.org/forums/archive/i...p/t-31787.html. But one can also stop down via an aperture ring, and how to measure this.. Must be by measuring the light falling right on the filmplane. Or? For instance, if I take the ring of, for maximum softness, what is the f-stop then?

Thanks all for the replies, I'll try to read more about the lens, and I'll take it with me to NYC next week. I want to buy a used 4x5" and maybe they can provide som information on B&H or elsewhere, I've been to B&H a couple of times, someone always knows there..

But do keep on posting info on this, if you have!

Ole
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    That one is very very simple to determine the f-stops on:

The lens focal length is 300m, that is clearly marked on it.

The f-stop is the diameter of the effective aperture divided by the focal length - or to get the f-number, take 300mm/diameter. Since there is no glass in front of the aperture, the effective diameter of the entrance pupil is identical to the diameter of the aperture opening - as a circle, but the aperture is close enough to a circle to make the difference negligible.

Simply measure the size of the opening, and divide 300 by that number in mm. I have a cheap plastic measuring thingy which is perfect for the purpose - I think I bought it in Clas Olson.
    Norway

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin