Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,546   Posts: 1,572,925   Online: 984

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First 4x5

Shooter
    Multi Format

First 4x5

I just purchased my first large format camera. Its a Toyo 45D and has a Copal #1 lensboard with it. I am going to look for a lens for it and I am thinking about a 150mm. I will be taking mostly landscapes, scenic and lighthouses with the camera. I currently have Nikon 35mm and Bronica ETRSi medium format but this is my first 4x5. I am not sure what lensboards fit what lenses but this one comes with a Copal#1. I will probably use the camera for B&W and develop my own film. I have developed my own 35mm and 120 film but haven't done 4x5. Thanks for any information on this camera and setting up a 4x5 system.
    Marvin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you are shooting mostly landscapes, I would look for a slightly W/A like a 135 or 127mm. Nothing wrong with a 150, versatile and would handle most of what you want. You probably will need different lens boards to fit the lenses. A good sturdy tripod that holds at least double what the camera weighs, and a handful of film holders. Dont forget a good quality cable release(or two), don't cheap out on that. Hang out at LFPF for more info.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Large-format lenses come mounted in shutters. Modern shutters are standardized somewhat to three different sizes, #0 (small), #1 (medium-sized), and #3 (large). This will determine the size of the hole in your lens board. The lens boards themselves, of course, have to be the right size to fit your camera. That's all there is to it.

When you buy a lens, the shutter size and make is normally given as well (e.g., Nikkor W 150mm in a #0 Compur shutter). Older lenses are often mounted in shutters with irregular sizes. If you know the shutter make and size designation, you can do a quick Google search to look up the exact size for the hole in your lensboard. The S.K. Grimes website has loads of information on the subject.

FWIW, the lenses you are looking for (135-150mm) probably come mounted in a #0 shutter.

Best,

Doremus Scudder

www.DoremusScudder.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Camera arrived today and looks to be in great shape. Now Lens, Film and dark cloth for focusing. Is this addictive?
    Marvin

Images
    Welcome to the dark slide. Next stop 20x24
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mark View Post
    Welcome to the dark slide. Next stop 20x24

He is still far, there are pit stop in places like infrared films, 8*10 wet plate. Don't forget, 20*24 need a large IC lens, so better build up his collection slowly.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Just a short item check. You need at least the below before starting.
    1. Camera
    2. Tripod that can stable your camera with no problem
    3. Film holder
    4. Film
    5. Lens with shutter mounted on lens board.
    6. Light meter, spot metering recommended (unless you want to depend on sunny 16...)
    7. Jacket (Or any shirt thick enough to shield light)
    7. Loupe (Recommended)

Regarding Lens and Lens board, you will need a Lens board that can hold your Lens shutter. There are different type of shutter like Copal No. 0 shutter. Also, get a Lens where the image circle can cover your format including all the tilting and shifting in your camera. I recently laid my eye on another Lens in Ebay, hopefully no 1 fighting with me

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ohhhhhhh man you are gonna love LF, is it addictive? nahhhhhhh
    "Why thats one of those old black and white cameras aint it?"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wootsk View Post

He is still far, there are pit stop in places like infrared films, 8*10 wet plate. Don't forget, 20*24 need a large IC lens, so better build up his collection slowly.
    Slowly my foot. About as realistic as someone saying they only puff crack now and then. He's screwed. he bought the rock. now he's looking for the pipe, the lighter and the alley to smoke it in. If he is dumb enough to put a lens on that thing and look at the GG there will be no turning back.

Just remember Marvin, you made the choice. When you lose your family, your home, and your dignity you made the choice. When you find yourself living in a weekly rate motel going to daily LFPA meetings in the afternoon and whoring yourself for film money in the evening remember that you made this choice.

Marvin, I feel for you. I am on the road you are starting. Let me take the burden off your hands. Just send that camera to me.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Congratulations. You should have a blast with it. Learning to shoot a view camera was my favorite part of learning photography...though it really isn't at all suited to most of what I like to shoot when left to my own devices. It taught me a lot about technique and general approach that I would not have grasped as quickly or as easily otherwise. I got lucky in that my first photography teacher encouraged me to learn 4x5 straight away, and gave me a camera (Graphic View II).

I think you could do well with a lens in the 120 - 240 mm range. I know, that is a large range...but think about how close you will be to your subjects. If you will be quite close, go with something on the wider end of that range. If not, go with something on the longer end. If you want to get really close, you could even go for a 90mm.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin