Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,587   Posts: 1,545,836   Online: 1145

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Vacuum sealing sheet film

Hi all--
    I recently bought a "Food Saver" to vacuum seal...food! But seeing how well it works for that, I decided to vacuum seal my sheet film. I figured it is just one more bit of protection from the elements (of my fridge/freezer if nothing else!) Just curious if anyone else does this. I am always striving to come up with inane things to do in life--did I just add another to the list??

Adios,
    Matt
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by tjaded View Post
    Hi all--
    I recently bought a "Food Saver" to vacuum seal...food! But seeing how well it works for that, I decided to vacuum seal my sheet film. I figured it is just one more bit of protection from the elements (of my fridge/freezer if nothing else!) Just curious if anyone else does this. I am always striving to come up with inane things to do in life--did I just add another to the list??

Adios,
    Matt
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...77&postcount=4

I'm still using it. I just broke open a pack of Minolta 16mm cartridges that I sealed a few months ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    So far I'm loving it. Now if I could just get my hands on some of that foil type stuff they used for Army food...."C" rations of film!
    --------------------
    "Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it." -Paul Strand

www.glasskeyphoto.com

Shooter
    35mm
    This sounds like a good idea, although using Ziploc backs is probably just as good. Based on the old film I've dealt with, I'm convinced that exposure to atmosphere kills film just as much as cosmic rays. I don't know what it is--humidity maybe--but film that has had the foil packet opened definitely goes bad years before still-sealed film.
    f/22 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Kodak tested a variety of films for use in space in total vacuum and found no problem even though they feared there might be one. So, I suspect that the minor low pressure formed in these sealing units would be no problem at all compared to the hard vacuum of outer space or the moon.

PE

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BetterSense View Post
    This sounds like a good idea, although using Ziploc backs is probably just as good. Based on the old film I've dealt with, I'm convinced that exposure to atmosphere kills film just as much as cosmic rays. I don't know what it is--humidity maybe--but film that has had the foil packet opened definitely goes bad years before still-sealed film.
    Ziplocs aren't. You can't get all the air out and the bags often aren't air tight anyway.

I've been vacuum sealing opened packs for several years and I feel very confident when putting opened film back in the freezer.
    www.vinnywalsh.com

I know what I want but I just don't know how to go about gettin' it.-Hendrix

Shooter
    35mm
    You preserve food with vacuum because if you take out air you also take out all the microflora that feeds on your cheese, lemons etc. turning it into a green stinking mess that makes you feel hunger is preferable.

When you preserve film, you always preserve it sealed in its container. The container is factory-filled with factory-air which does not contain moisture* and does not contain said micropests.

So my advice is: if your film is not in a factory-sealed package, do not put it in the fridge or freezer, because you might have condensation problems. If your film is, instead, sealed, putting it in the "vacuum" container does not make any difference because the film is not in touch with outer air. If there is any so-to-speak microbial contamination in the film, you are not improving the situation by vacuuming it because it is sealed.

* Or maybe contains the right amount of moisture, I don't know.
    Fabrizio Ruggeri fine art photography site: http://fabrizio-ruggeri.artistwebsites.com
    Stock images at Imagebroker: http://www.imagebroker.com/#/search/ib_fbr

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My impression is that moisture has the potential to condense on the film during the thawing procedure without the vacuum seal process. I processed some 35mm bulk cartridges the I think were ruined from moisture a few years ago, that is why I started using the vacuum. A film canister or zip-lock bag still contains moisture when it is closed.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I store my opened 5x4 sheet film and Quickload film in my fridge and have had no problems with condensation. I keep the QL film wrapped up in its (opened) plastic foil container in a QL box and keep sheet film in the closed box.

We have just been discussing this very question in the UKLFPG below, so you may find the answers interesting.

http://www.lf-photo.org.uk/forum/vie...php?f=3&t=2625
    The Thing

Portfolio

Film Cameras currently used:
    Large/Stort-format: Ebony 45SU (field camera), Medium/Medlem-format: Mamiya 7, Hasselblad 503CW
    35mm/Små format: Nikon: F4, D800 (yes digital, I know)

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin