Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,930   Posts: 1,556,869   Online: 878

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Who uses funky lenses?

Hello,
    So i am anxiously awaiting the arrival of a box of shutters and random optics which i am receiving as a trade for anothe LF lens that I have. I like the idea of a funky lens look, bokeh, tight focus parameters, etc. I was wondering who else uses lenses like this? I guess you could call them broken, but i like the wierd lens look (i.e.- sally mann). Just curious as to who else shares this?
    -Austin

Shooter
    Large Format
    I bought a shutter and adapter rings to reverse an enlarging lens on my 4x5, but I haven't had a chance to experiment with them yet.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've started making soft focus lenses after playing around with the odd bits in my junk drawer.

Take a look at what can be done with a simple meniscus lens...
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...s-mounted.html

These things are not only fun, they're beautiful.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dave: that sounds interesting. Use it and post some images on here!

Reinhold: I saw this, and attempted to replicate it with a close-up filter that i had. it seems that i don't have enough bellows draw for the single-meniscus, it's awful! oh well i guess i'll be using plastic optics and smaller format cells on a copal shutter os something. Not really sure what is going to happen at this point, but we will see. It's funny because my other lens is a schneider, which, as you most likely know, is a very fine lens.
    -Austin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a box full of bits and bobs that are fun to play with. My faves are 6x9 or 6x6 lenses(80-100mm). For some reason, I'm fascinated with the port-hole look of the image(vignetting). I recently swapped a lens that I regret giving up, a 6-1/2" Rapid Aplanat that had a most wonderful bokeh.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Luseboy,
    I use all sorts of junk to make images and I spend lots of time with cadged together lens boards and improvised shutters playing with lenses that have no right to be on a camera. One of my favorite is the objective lens from a set of binoculars. Right now I'lm playing with a series of projection lenses from the first half of the 20th century, but magnifying glasses, condenser lenses, viewfinders from cheap TLR's... just about anything that will resolve an image gets a try out. I have bags of the things and keep buying/trading/finding more. It's just plain fun.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've been using projection lenses on my speed graphic and I consistently get great results* out of them:

...the lens used in all these photos is a Leitz Wetzlar Hektor 150mm/f2.5 - barely covers 4x5, as you can see.

*: technically they're great results, artistically they're nothing special - I usually get carried away by the image I see on the ground glass and I forget all about creativity, composition, etc...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    hi luseboy --

a big YES!

im a fan of harvesting broken junk lenses off of junk folders
    and / or buying plano convex cells from the surplus shed,
    or unscrewing lenses and using elements with other lenses and ..

just having a good time

john

ps it helps when you have a focal plane shutter

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A friend uses a lens with a completely scratched front element. Lovely.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do, or try to. Pentac, Cooke speedic, fast tessars, aero ektar, a graf variable i'm trying to master. It's a weird road to go down. John's right, a camera with a focal plane shutter is a great thing to have around, opens up a lot of possible combos.

Theo, I love the look of that Hektor, who knew? very nice.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin