Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,291   Posts: 1,535,428   Online: 794

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

carrying 4x5

there was a company, I think had the name Sherpa in it.
    you might check them out.

seem to remember they made a rolling carrier for just such an
    outing.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Was I asking about rolling carriers? I don't seem to remember that...Thanks for the suggestions though.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I got one of these backpack frames which I hope to attach things to for 8x10 shooting. Have been too busy with work to take the 8x10 far though.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001RL5PHY

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    I got one of these backpack frames which I hope to attach things to for 8x10 shooting.
    Okay...cool...so how were you thinking about attaching your gear?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I was thinking of strapping on my tripod, a padded cooler of film holders, a padded toolbox containing a couple of lenses, and a jug of gatorade. I don't have a box or container to store my B&J 8x10 cameras in yet, so your question is still valid for that aspect of it. I could easily strap the toolbox I use for my 4x5 Speed graphic to the backpack, but that's pretty easy to carry without a backpack and can hold camera lenses and film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Just get some lens wraps and throw the stuff in there. That wont be very elegant, but it should protect the gear. I did that with a top loading pack. It worked, but it was a pain in the neck, cause everything you wanted was on the bottom.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Here in Australia, there aren't to many places in the bush where you would be able to use a baby stroller and still get to the places you really want to photograph, so I have to use a backpack. This is what I did.
    I made a polystyrene foam insert for my Black Wolf backack and then covered the foam with a tough yet soft fabric. The pack is still fairly light and all of my 8x10 gear is protected. All you need for the insert is some 1 inch thick foam for the outside and base and 1/2 inch for the interior, and then use PVA glue to stick it all together. Let it cure for a day cover it with the fabric using more glue and Bob's your uncle. Done. Just make sure you get your measurements for all your gear right first.
    Mike

Images
    How much you willing to spend to make it usable. Cheap means towels and cloth diapers. I did this with all of my packs until I bought a dedicated camera back pack. Never broke or scratched a thing. Kind of messy on site because of all the wrappings. If I was going that route again I would chunk down money on some fly fishing reel packs and other paraphernalia.

Just start fiddling with combinations and realize that all that crap gets a LOT heavier the further you walk, and you have to walk the same distance back. Figure out what you HAVE to have and keep it minimal. once you trim down the trimmings there will be much more space in the bag to pack padding into.

By the way well washed cotton cloth diapers totally rock as lens wraps.

Wyno's ideas sound real good.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    How much to spend? As little as possible.... Wyno......your ideas have gotten my brain clicking a little. Thanks! I appreciate that. Some day I would like to see The Outback.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Nutter View Post
    OK...I have one of those army A.L.I.C.E. packs---the medium size...both with and without a frame. I have a Toyo field camera and some lenses and all the trimmings....any suggestions on making it fit in said pack without slipping a disk?...or more importantly, without smashing it all up?
    My solution for my Wista 5x4 field camera, 4 lenses etc.. was to go to a store which sells foam rubber and have a big block of same cut to just fit in the pack. Then I took that home and with a very sharp knife, cut pockets to firmly fit all of the bits and pieces. Gluing cloth over all the exposed surfaces makes getting bits in and out easier.
    My pack is the type for which the entitre front zips open, exposing all the contents, if your pack is of the top-loading type, this solution may not suit you.

Peter

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin