Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,338   Posts: 1,537,687   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

speed graphic: which lensboard for 90mm caltar II F6.8 MC

Hi there!

I'm new to 4x5" format and I recently took a peacemaker speed graphic with a 135mm f4.7 optar onboard.
    Now, I'd like to take a wide angle like a 90mm f6.8 Caltar II-N MC Lens in Copal 0 Shutter. My "newbbie" question is: which lensboard I must search for that fits this 90mm??

thanx guys.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Corrected

Any Pacemaker Speed or Crown graphic (for size O) board will fit as will Super Graphic boards. These are quite cheap and available new from Heavy2star on ebay.

Apologies for confusion I've corrected my post

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 05-20-2011 at 02:25 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: confused type of Graflex

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, are you sure? I ask because I've always believed that boards made for the Super Graphic (four bumps, I think that's what you meant by "raised lugs") would fit on 4x5 Pacemaker Graphics.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Dan, I believe you are correct. I have a few of the boards with four "bumps" and they fit my Speed - the bumps are off on the sides and don't interfere with anything. The ones I have also have the four smaller bumps top and bottom to hold into a Speed/Crown. I have a Rodenstock Optar in the 1/1000s shutter (made for a Super Speed Graphic?) - that board is different but I got it with a Crown so it can apparently be made to fit.

Dan

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Ian, let me see if I got it right..: I can use my existing lensboard but I have to buy another pairs of "raised lugs"? I'm not sure if I figured out correctly..any images as an example? I looked inside the heavy2stars shop but which is the proper one for me?? thanx so much

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Apologies my mistake, I'd misread & thought you had a Super Graphic.

These are the boards you need
    . It may be worth getting 3.

The Super Graphic needs two extra bumps as both Dan's mention the old Graphic use bumps at the top & bottom the Supers at the sides.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus, you wrote "I can use my existing lensboard ..." If you have in mind to use one board for two lenses, don't. It is much better to dedicate a board to each lens (including shutter) you want to use.

Also, if y'r 135 Optar was made by Wollensak it will be in a Graphex shutter made in Rochester by Wollensak. These shutters don't conform to the Compur/Copal/Prontor sizes so you can't mount a lens in a Copal #0 (that is what you're getting, isn't it) on a board cut for one. If y'r 135 Optar was made by Rodenstock ("made in Germany"), I'm not sure which shutter it will be in, might be a #0.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dan, as I said I'm really a newbbie in 4x5" shooting and I do not know well this wonderful piece of beauty called peacemaker speed graphic that I got in my hands now...thus, I guess the correct question is: if I buy this 90mm in copal 0 searching for a copal 0 lensboard will let me mount this lens on my peacemaker for sure, right? Ian suggested me to buy the 3 lensboards by heavy2stars (or something like)...for now what I know for sure is that I love this format, really really love it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Plus, 90/6.8 in Copal #0 on a 4x5 Pacemaker Graphic board drilled for a #0 shutter = happy Plus.

Plus + careful reading of the FAQs on www.graflex.org = better educated Plus. You might also want to read the FAQs at http://www.largeformatphotography.info/

APUG has its virtues but isn't the best place to learn about Graphics in particular or large format photography in general.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    +1
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin