Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,506   Posts: 1,543,521   Online: 1031

Shooter
    Medium Format

Gitzo R3 Tripod Head Info Needed

I just bought a older Gitzo R3 (model #370) Pan-Tilt Head. The handles are the flat paddle configuration, the knobs a black plastic. The platform is rectangular, topped with cork, has a slot with a 1/4 inch bolt. I'm guessing maybe 70's or 80's vintage.
    I can't find any specs on this head and I'm looking for the maximum load capacity.
    I appreciate any information.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gitzo Rational 3  Model #370 Head #1.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Based on the 2002 Gitzo catalogue, the #37X series heads are rated at 13 lbs capacity. From personal experience with an older version of this head, Rationelle 3B from the early '80s, it holds my 4x5 Technika, heaviest lens, and Grafmatic holder (just over 9 lbs total) with NO PROBLEMS at all on either my 3 and 4 series Gitzo aluminum tripod.

I think with the black plastic bts the head is newer than you're suggesting. Mine has grey handles and knobs and bought it around 1982 or so.

You can also use a 3/8" screw on it by swapping out the 1/4" on - they were standard Gitzo accessories.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dave, thanks for the information on the Gitzo R3 Head. By the looks of its weight rating, it could take a fairly good size camera up to an 5 x 7. Interesting that the head may be a newer version than I thought. Very strange that there is very little information on the web about this Gitzo head.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin