Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,771   Posts: 1,516,526   Online: 789

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Decisions decisions

Evaluating the following 150mm lenses. Which would you choose and why?

Caltar 5.6
    Nikkor 5.6
    Schneider Symar-S 5.6

All are multicoated, come in a copal 0 shutter, price is within $75 of each other, used.

Thanks!
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eric,

There are many Caltars... Caltars of recent vintage are Rodenstocks, and of the recent ones there's a 72 degree lens and a 75 degree lens. The Schneider Symmar-S is a good lens, but probably 2 generations old. Nikkors are not that easy to date.

With no more information than I can get from the list, I'd probably choose the Schneider all things equal. If the Caltars are the late Caltar II-N or Caltar II-S, I'd choose that one because it's a later lens.

If they're all the same vintage and all in the same condition, there isn't a lot of difference, so if one was sunstantially cheaper than the others, I'd go for it.

Steve

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks, Went with the schneider. Everywhere I read reviews Schneider was always praised.
    Nikkors and Rodenstocks had their proponets but there were occaisional mentions of separation and softness.

If anyone else is looking for a decent buy on these, KEH.com has plenty in various conditions.
    Eric
    www.esearing.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin