Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,366   Online: 1162

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

Graflex Crown Graphic

Hi,

i want buy this camera cgi.ebay.pl/Graflex-Crown-Graphic-/380314781601?pt=DE_Alte_Kameras&hash=item588c8707a 1 . I have two question about it:

1. this is only 6x9 format or i can do 4x5 too?
    2. i don't want use sheet films so i want buy rollkasete, cgi.ebay.pl/GRAFLEX-XL-6x9-120-Back-/370292797127?pt=UK_Photography_Film_Backs_Holders& hash=item56372baec7 this one will be good for that graflex?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    this is only 6x9 format or i can do 4x5 too?

Only 6x9

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The camera is what is sometimes known as a "baby" graphic, in this case a Crown Graphic. It is 6x9 only. It does have a Grafloc back though which would allow the use of the roll holder.
    The sheet film spring back is removed, and the roll holder fitted in its place.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Actually, the image size is smaller than a 6X9cm. It is closer to a 6X7.5cm size.

You can usually find a 4X5 press type camera for close the same price as the mini graphics. You can also find a wider variety of lenses and accessories for the 4X5.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose LS Gil View Post
    You can usually find a 4X5 press type camera for close the same price as the mini graphics. You can also find a wider variety of lenses and accessories for the 4X5.
    Like what?

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by k_jupiter View Post
    Like what?

tim in san jose
    Lenses and lens boards for the 4X5 press cameras are much easier to find than the mini graphics.
    Film holders are much easier to find for the 4X5 and you can still find them new. I can't really recall seeing a new 2X3 film holder.
    My mini has a 101mm lens with a very small lens board. If I wanted to use a larger lens, I would run into problems with the small lens board.
    You also have a wider variety of films available in 4X5 than in 2X3 or 23 size.
    Don't get me wrong, the mini is a cool camera but it is really closer to a medium format camera, than a large format camera.
    If I was limited on space, such as when you are hiking, I would opt to carry one of my old 6X9 folders, before I would choose the mini.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good source of information about Speed Graphics and Crown Graphics is www.graflex.org.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jose LS Gil View Post
    Lenses and lens boards for the 4X5 press cameras are much easier to find than the mini graphics.
    It isn't a Miniature Speed Graphic, it is a 2x3 Pacemaker Crown Graphic. New reproduction boards that work very well are available from www.mpex.com and www.skgrimes.com

Film holders are much easier to find for the 4X5 and you can still find them new. I can't really recall seeing a new 2X3 film holder.
    The camera has a Graflok, also called international, back. It will accept any 2x3 (in metric, 6x9) roll holder that will attach to a Graflok. Think 120 film, not sheet.

My mini has a 101mm lens with a very small lens board. If I wanted to use a larger lens, I would run into problems with the small lens board.
    Wrong camera, Jose. I use lenses whose rear cells are too large to pass through my 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics' front standards. The trick is to unscrew the lens' rear cell from the shutter, attach the board with shutter and front cell to the front standard, remove the focusing panel, and reattach the rear cell from behind. This won't work with all lenses, e.g., most 210/5.6 Plasmats and the 53/4.5 Biogon. But it does work with 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and 58/5.6 Grandagon.

You also have a wider variety of films available in 4X5 than in 2X3 or 23 size.
    More emulsions in 4x5 sheet film than in 120? Are you sure?

Quincy, the price is much too high. Even if you're in Euroland you should be able to find a better deal on ebay.com.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    More emulsions in 4x5 sheet film than in 120? Are you sure?
    I think he means 2x3 sheet film, which is what the camera was designed for. Sure, it will use a 120 roll film back, but 2x3 sheet film is what it was designed for. I'm willing to bet there are far more 4x5 films available than 2x3 sheet films. Been the truth for quite some time (my old Modern Photography mags from the mid 80s bear this out).

So there, you're both right

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by drumminor2nd View Post
    I think he means 2x3 sheet film, which is what the camera was designed for. Sure, it will use a 120 roll film back, but 2x3 sheet film is what it was designed for. I'm willing to bet there are far more 4x5 films available than 2x3 sheet films. Been the truth for quite some time (my old Modern Photography mags from the mid 80s bear this out).

So there, you're both right
    To be honest, it was designed for either one. That's why you have a graflok back on it. That's why you have a range finder on it. Way more 120 film types available than 4x5 sheet.

As far as lens? How many do you need? a 65, 101 (or so), a 135 fuji, and a 150 Fuji. All will fit that lens board size with the appropriate sized hole. As far a new 2x3 holders, picked up a half dozen three or four years ago.. in boxes with instruction papers intact. How many do you need? And there are millions of them out there in perfectly usable shape.

A non-issue. A red herring. A delusional falsity. And the Crown 2x3 is plastic so it's pretty light. Not a whole lot heavier than my rb67. If at all.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin