Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,837   Online: 988

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Schneider Super-Angulon 8/90 with broken shutter still worth using?

Hello, when I got my large format kit a few months ago now I got a 210mm, 150mm and a 90mm now the shutter was in bits for the 90mm so I just left it like that, but today I just put it back together now the apertures work but shutter does not so I wondered if 1) the lens is worth getting another shutter for it 2) buying a newer version of the lens which won't be for some time 3) use the lens only for long shutter speeds.

I don't really know how good the lens is on the camera it looks fine it's all clean so I feel it would be good to use, I could do with a wider than 150mm as I have needed it from time to time.

Kind Regards
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use mine for long exposures. Any decent lens is fun to play with, some of mine use the film slide for a shutter, others use lens caps, some only have B setting that works. I make mat lensboards and play with them.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum
    BTW: the big kid in my avatar is my hero, my son, who proudly serves us in the Navy. "SALUTE"

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I never thought about using the dark slide I guess long enough exposure a bit of shake really won't matter thank you for giving me the confidence just to go a head and do it!

A 90 SA is a good lens. Shutter repair or replacement is worth the cost. They were about $450 U.S. new 15 years or so ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    I never thought about using the dark slide I guess long enough exposure a bit of shake really won't matter thank you for giving me the confidence just to go a head and do it!
    It isn't necessarily about a long exposure or using the dark slide that protects the film in the holder.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...ll-please.html

You are actually way ahead of the old barrel lenses that have no aperture control.

Jim's technique is also fun for portraits, people get a kick out of the low tech action.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin