Switch to English Language Passer en langue franšaise Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,227   Posts: 1,659,755   Online: 870

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Schneider Super-Angulon 8/90 with broken shutter still worth using?

Hello, when I got my large format kit a few months ago now I got a 210mm, 150mm and a 90mm now the shutter was in bits for the 90mm so I just left it like that, but today I just put it back together now the apertures work but shutter does not so I wondered if 1) the lens is worth getting another shutter for it 2) buying a newer version of the lens which won't be for some time 3) use the lens only for long shutter speeds.

I don't really know how good the lens is on the camera it looks fine it's all clean so I feel it would be good to use, I could do with a wider than 150mm as I have needed it from time to time.

Kind Regards
    Paul

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I use mine for long exposures. Any decent lens is fun to play with, some of mine use the film slide for a shutter, others use lens caps, some only have B setting that works. I make mat lensboards and play with them.
    Rick Allen
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I never thought about using the dark slide I guess long enough exposure a bit of shake really won't matter thank you for giving me the confidence just to go a head and do it!

A 90 SA is a good lens. Shutter repair or replacement is worth the cost. They were about $450 U.S. new 15 years or so ago.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaggysk8 View Post
    I never thought about using the dark slide I guess long enough exposure a bit of shake really won't matter thank you for giving me the confidence just to go a head and do it!
    It isn't necessarily about a long exposure or using the dark slide that protects the film in the holder.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/2...ll-please.html

You are actually way ahead of the old barrel lenses that have no aperture control.

Jim's technique is also fun for portraits, people get a kick out of the low tech action.
    Mark Barendt, Beaverton, OR

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Ana´s Nin

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  Ś   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin